Chevy Impala SS Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When I pull these things off what am I going to be looking at?

I see custom jobs with them removed and I prefer the clean cut look of them. If I pull mine off, will they need any work after that? One of my fenders is getting a respray and my rear quarters are getting new sheet metal in the future, so they will be coming off anyways.

A picture or two would help also. Thanks!

·
Registered
341 Posts
Sorry, no pics, but if you remove front or rear ones you will see that fender contour is dimpled and would have to be filled (bondo, metal, f/g, whichever is your favorite to work with) Rear is worse than the front. Good luck

·
Registered
499 Posts
Leave them alone , they protect the arches from damage of people opening their car doors next to you or road debri being kicked up. That's why GM made them . And besides once I took mine off many years ago and discovered I couldn't put them back due to the tabs that are rusted under there . So leave them on. The car looks unique with them;)

·
Registered
12,353 Posts
There is a recess behind the trim piece. The edge of the wheelhouse and fender are welded around the perimeter at that point, and you will have a series of spot welds. To run without the trim, you need to make a piece about the same shape as the trim, but only as thick as the recess, then weld it into the recess, or work the sheetmetal with a hammer and anvil to match the contour of the fender as it would be if the fender was not designed to have trim. It might look good if it were flared around the area, but you would have to flare the front to make it have continuity in design.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Didn't realize there was so much to them. Let me try something else then...

Can they be painted, keeping in mind that I have the chrome trimmed ones?

·
Registered
177 Posts
They can be taken off, but be care full. If you bend/kink them you are in trouble . .
The fronts come off fairly easily- be care at those screw heads- use a wire brush to clean them up first.

Here is what I did for the rears:

Clean area well with hose at flange in rear then wire brush (not too hard) at inner wheel well to remove rust and dirt.

Loosen screws and with a plastic panel tool at the rear pry flanges moving around the inner wheelhouse a little at a time while pulling downward. There are "compression clipped" on.

Worked for me. Cleaned everything around the inner wheel house, and of course the moldings . . . They are now a painted silver . . . They must be prepped properly prior to refinish. . .
They reinstalled fine.

Hope this helps.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.