Chevy Impala SS Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Originally posted by casims22:
What is a good wheel lock/lug nut set for our cars?
Stock Impala SS or Corvette locking nuts/lug nuts from a Chevy dealership.

KW

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I use the stuff from Gorilla. You can order online from Summit Racing or Thunder Racing. With stock type wheel lug seats, you will need an M12-1.5 "acorn bulge" type lug nut and lock with a 60 degree seat.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Have used the Gorilla's in the past, they are good. I have also used the McGards (on my WRX), and they are excellent (better quality than the Gorillas IMHO).

The OEM GM locks are JUNK!!! Stripped lugnut (where it meets the key) waiting to happen, not to mention there are surprisingly FEW different "key patterns" for them.

Now, I just use OEM lugs and a fairly cheap insurance rider

FWIW, at this age of the car it wouldn't be a bad idea to get new lugnuts if they are OEM original. This is especially true if the wheels are changed often (either racing or summer to winter wheels). The lugnuts do get "beat up" over time, especially if an impact gun has been used on them.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
i have an aftermarket set w/ a key but im looking to get something different so what size do i ask for when i get the new set.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Originally posted by casims22:
i have an aftermarket set w/ a key but im looking to get something different so what size do i ask for when i get the new set.
By reading this thread, you would have found the answer in the third post...

Originally posted in the third post in this thread by LeadSSled:
...you will need an M12-1.5 "acorn bulge" type lug nut and lock with a 60 degree seat.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Originally posted by AutocroSSer:
Have used the Gorilla's in the past......I have also used the McGards....and they are.....better quality than the Gorillas IMHO......The OEM GM locks are JUNK!!! Stripped lugnut......not to mention there are surprisingly FEW different "key patterns" for them......
And with the proper tool, all can be removed in the time it takes to get a non-locking nut of the wheel.

I've never stripped a stock lug, so I can't speak to how easy it is to do that.

And yes, there are not a lot of key patterns with the stockers.

But one thing's for sure.......the stockers will fit; where I've seen the Gorillas (and others) come mis-labled/mis-packaged. Which is why I no longer use them.....

KW

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
KW : the issue with the OEM locking lugnuts (i.e. why they are crap) has to do with the key engagement on them. Namely, it is a fairly narrow "depth" onto the lug compared to the better done lockers.

Net result : if the key or lug gets a little worn, it slips off and strips the OUTSIDE of the locking lugnut!

Both Gorillas and McGards use a lot more key engagement depth to avoid this issue. The McGards also use a rotating seat on the lugnut which helps minimize wear on the wheel seats (especially noticable if you RnR the wheels a lot).

KW : go kick the retailer in the (lug)nuts if they can't properly stock and package their inventory ;)

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Originally posted by AutocroSSer:
KW : the issue with the OEM locking lugnuts (i.e. why they are crap) has to do with the key engagement on them......
OK
.......got it ;) !

KW

G

·
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Originally posted by threeimpalas:
</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by casims22:
By reading this thread, you would have found the answer in the third post...

Originally posted in the third post in this thread by LeadSSled:
...you will need an M12-1.5 "acorn bulge" type lug nut and lock with a 60 degree seat.
</font>[/QUOTE]i meant will it work w/ aftermarket 22"s can someone link me to the appropriate ones maybe on ebay thanks in advance

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.