Chevy Impala SS Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I installed my newly purchased steering wheel cover from wheelskins.com. It arrived in only a couple of days. The instructions were very good and the install went very well. It's not cheap but I am very please with the results.

I took some before and after pictures. For those interested - I can email them to you. (I'm not sure how to post the pics on the forum - I'd be glad to post them if someone was willing to share the instructions on how to do it.)

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
big thumbs up for wheel skin. it make the steering wheel feel so much better. the install is very tedious; it took me good 4 hours to install it. just take your time don't be afraid to pull HARD on the thread; make it nice and tight.

david

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Bluewhale is correct, you do want to put a lot of pressure on the thread. As a matter of fact, the tip of my thumb was bruised from maintaining the pressure on the line. The instructions suggest wearing gloves or putting on a Band-Aid. If I did it again, I would definitely wear a Band-Aid or some tape over my left thumb.

My install only took me about 1.5 hours. I’ve strung a good many tennis rackets in my time, so I guess that experience sped things up for me.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Skin looks great! Wonderful job on the install - especially around the gaps - you handled that much better than I did. Now you need to SEM the wheel/bag black. When I got my skin, I was so anxious to put it on, I did it before recoloring the wheel. So, then I had to tape off the whole wheelskin. And, yes - you need to pull HARD the whole time. I used the outside of my pinky to hold pressure and it almost cut through the skin. Gloves are definitely recommended. Anyway - Great job. :D

G

·
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Wow, I'm impressed! I've seen other installs and they weren't as nicely done as yours. Now I'm tempted.... Very well done.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
JP I have a question on the Wheelskin you installed. What size did you use? The Wheelskin catalog shows size AXX for the caprice. When I measured my wheel's rim grip dimension I came up with 3 1/2" while the AXX size rim grip dimension is 3 5/8 - 3 7/8".

I am asking this as your Wheelskin appears real tight.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I give a nod to the pep boys $15 dollar one also. The extra wide. I got the same looking result on both of mine, the tan match and the light grey match was great. PITA to put on though. Plan on at least an 1.5 hours.

Peter

G

·
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I have a wheelskin installed din my Roadmaster sedan. The fit is great. Install took me around 30 - 45 minutes. Have to make sure to pull the thread real tight.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I like that two tone look, and plan to wheelskin my my grey steering wheel with the black skin soon myslef.

Gotta hand it to you on the install JP. Best looking install I have seen so far. Especially at those gaps like SydneySSnowflake mentioned.

I guess from what I hear is the trick is to wrap the string/wire around the handle of the pair of pliers to keep things tight. Was told not to pull the wire with the pliers themselves as the wire may break.

Let us know any of your install tips JP!...thx.

-Tony

G

·
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
My .02....I have a grey wheel and bought the grey w\black sides wheelskin. To help get the tightest possible fit, I soaked the skin in warm water and proceeded to install. I didn't like the grey showing thru the gaps so I wrapped the steering wheel spokes with a black spandex material I got from the craft store and then went ahead with the install. When looking down at the wheel, the gaps have a finished look and as the skin dried, I guess it shrank a little and everything was glove tight. The seams\edges are tight together and I was very happy with the install. The wet leather also allowed the string to pass thru easier and tighten...just don't pull too hard or it'll rip.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.