Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Everytime I make u turns and wide turns, I think I feel the whole front end pulling or jerking? Took it to the shop put the car on a lift and my center link, was very loose when they turned the wheel left and right. So I replaced the center link, idle arm, inner and outer tie rod, and the problem should be fixed. SAME got the car back the next day exactly same, so then the guys at the shop looked at the ball joints the upper ones, I said replace both upper and lower ball joints for the front. After this lot better, but still when driving the car on U turns and long wide turns it still feel it little bit. PLEASE anyone know whats wrong?

96 impala 69,000 miles ONLY

·
Registered
1,992 Posts
I think it's "normal" for the front end to jerk a little when turning at full lock with wide tires in the front.

Something about the wheel angle at full lock not being perfect for their trajectory.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
I think it's "normal" for the front end to jerk a little when turning at full lock with wide tires in the front.

Something about the wheel angle at full lock not being perfect for their trajectory.
I do have the stock tires which are 255/50R17 and my tires are really bold but its not the tires making the effect.

·
Ultimate Impala Guru!
5,481 Posts
It's normal.

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
I thought it was a problem also like the tires are being pulled when I make certain turns. Kinda feels like the tires have to drag but can't so they buckle and jerk.

I thought if it kept doing that it will pull something apart and my tire will come off.

·
Premium Member
6,343 Posts
Partly alignment & steering geometry, but the most likely culprit is that the inside of the tire--leading side, ie. (RF when turning hard or to full lock left & LF when turning hard or to full lock right) is being pushed hard against the side of the sway bar "arm", which causes that tire to grab & skip almost as if that corner is having it's brake applied & released individually.

Without going too deep into this, the scrub radius and Ackerman "effect" (or lack of it) designed into the B-body front suspension is potentially another part of the condition(s) you're observing. Lots to read on the subject beyond these Wiki links, but the bottom line is, depending on what is REALLY happening in your low-speed situations--the pulling and jerking--it typically goes away at higher speeds because of tire slip, to the extent that you don't have the 2 front wheels fighting each other. Since the 2 front wheels are not likely traveling around the same radius point, enough side force will build up on one of the tires (realizing that both front wheels/tires are turned HARD away from their normal optimum "straight ahead") to make the tire skip to release the force, then the process starts again if the car continues to turn at the same angle & rate.

If you look at the Impala SS with proper alignment and stock wheel/tire size, with the car parked and wheel turned to full lock, parked, it is easy to see that the front tire contact patch is reduced, and the loading of the tires is shifted off center--and the car actually is "leaning"--the front tires come up on their "edge" and the rear ride height won't be the same side to side. At low speeds, parking lot situations, etc, the reduced contact patch can contribute to the grab & skip mentioned above.

There is another possible contributor to what you're feeling--the limited slip differential used in production (Auburn) has been known to exhibit some "jerk" or "groan/clunk", which usually comes down to needing to have the gear lube serviced and the limited slip additive renewed.

·
Registered
2,187 Posts
Good reading there Navy. I actually learned something today.

-Mike

·
Premium Member
6,343 Posts
Thanks for the props, coldsteel--we try--sometimes it gets through, other times it doesn't!

Test will be on Friday.....multiple-guess.

Class......

v

cwm8

v

cwm6

v

cwm4

v

cwm3

v

:p

v

cwm7

v

cwm9

v

:confused:

v

;)

.......DISmissed!!!

:D

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Partly alignment & steering geometry, but the most likely culprit is that the inside of the tire--leading side, ie. (RF when turning hard or to full lock left & LF when turning hard or to full lock right) is being pushed hard against the side of the sway bar "arm", which causes that tire to grab & skip almost as if that corner is having it's brake applied & released individually.

Without going too deep into this, the scrub radius and Ackerman "effect" (or lack of it) designed into the B-body front suspension is potentially another part of the condition(s) you're observing. Lots to read on the subject beyond these Wiki links, but the bottom line is, depending on what is REALLY happening in your low-speed situations--the pulling and jerking--it typically goes away at higher speeds because of tire slip, to the extent that you don't have the 2 front wheels fighting each other. Since the 2 front wheels are not likely traveling around the same radius point, enough side force will build up on one of the tires (realizing that both front wheels/tires are turned HARD away from their normal optimum "straight ahead") to make the tire skip to release the force, then the process starts again if the car continues to turn at the same angle & rate.

If you look at the Impala SS with proper alignment and stock wheel/tire size, with the car parked and wheel turned to full lock, parked, it is easy to see that the front tire contact patch is reduced, and the loading of the tires is shifted off center--and the car actually is "leaning"--the front tires come up on their "edge" and the rear ride height won't be the same side to side. At low speeds, parking lot situations, etc, the reduced contact patch can contribute to the grab & skip mentioned above.

There is another possible contributor to what you're feeling--the limited slip differential used in production (Auburn) has been known to exhibit some "jerk" or "groan/clunk", which usually comes down to needing to have the gear lube serviced and the limited slip additive renewed.

wow thats all i can say, thanks also I just had my rear end there was leaking, it was the pinion seal which i fixed.:)

·
Registered
11,253 Posts
I have a wagon with posi and one without...they both jerk. The tires are hitting the sway bar, because it is shiney at one spot. The tire sidewalls are not even for a number of reasons...lettering, normal variations, etc.

It could be the belt in the tire trying to go straight, and skipping at the joint/overlap.

The steering also tends to turn itself after I get to a certain point near full lock, and I have to pull the wheel back a little to straighten out. I think it could be caster.

·
Registered
714 Posts
Greasing the steering stops on the LCA and spindle helps a bit with noise and 'feel' at full lock..

·
Registered
868 Posts
same thing here and can see rub marks from the tires on sway bar. Feels really weird when its wet but everything is new andwas there before and after suspension rebuild as well

·
9,190 Posts
Wheel bearings are too loose.
x2 same issue just got fixed....you can feel a huge difference.

my situation was odd, it only happend when i was turning in reverse.

good luck

·
Registered
299 Posts
Check your Ball Joints. My 95 SS has always creaked, made noises on lock to lock turns. 220k.
Second set of Ball Joints. Yesterday one broke. Not good.
Pics real soon.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Check your Ball Joints. My 95 SS has always creaked, made noises on lock to lock turns. 220k.
Second set of Ball Joints. Yesterday one broke. Not good.
Pics real soon.
I replaced the ball joints in the front, both upper and lower both sides. After that it was a much better, but it is still there.

·
Registered
299 Posts

·
Registered
221 Posts
I see rubbing on my sway bar also. I will jack it up and give it a fullinspection.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts