Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Like the title says, where are they getting in?

1995 Fleetwood.

I've pulled the blower and cleaned crap out of it 2x in the last week. Today, whatever acorns and stuff were in there managed to break a couple of fan blades.

I'd love to cover the opening with some mesh or screen or something, so this doesn't happen to the new blower I'm installing right now.

Thanks!

·
Registered
4,799 Posts
The fresh air vent under the cowl?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I've looked all around, all I see is the drain tube for the condenser.

The inlet on top of the cowl looks to be pretty sealed up, with some mesh between the plastic grates.

Any thoughts guys?

·
Registered
6,747 Posts
There's another opening into that area from the bottom/side. You may have to remove the inner fender to access it though. Many install a screen across the cabin opening. I've mounted a cabin air filter there which should keep varmits out as well as clean the air.

·
Premium Member
1,810 Posts
Don't look for a small hole. It is big enough a cat could get in there if it wanted, or so it seems.

1slow96, how do you keep the cabin filter from getting saturated, clogged, and stinky/mildewed?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'll start digging now. Thanks for the direction.

Here's the latest little bastard, I suppose I should be grateful he didn't get shredded and stink everything up.

What a way to go, it's like the Gravitron on steroids...

·
Premium Member
1,810 Posts
I understand.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,810 Posts

·
Registered
7,984 Posts
I installed one of the filter kits on my car. If you don't want to do that, you could just take the metal screen off an air filter and put the screen over the opening. I read somewhere where someone had "sandwiched the screen between the cowl and the air box but that seems like a lot of work.

·
Registered
10,930 Posts
There is a drain at the end of the drain channel under the intake hole. There is a flap on the end that is supposed to only go one way. It usually goes both ways. The mice can easily get in the drain channel through the hole. Do not try to cover the end of the channel, or you will get water in the fresh air intake every time water gets on the car.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
Fred, any chance you could post a pic detailing where this flap is? I put a little mesh over the drain tube, and a couple of 2x3" (body painted) holes behind the fender liner, but I didn't see anything like what you are describing.

I plan to remove the cowl and just put mesh over the intake itself, but won't have time to Jack with it until next weekend.

·
Registered
10,930 Posts
I do not have a picture. You can see it when you take the cover under the cowl off. It is the extreme right end of the drain channel.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Far right as in toward the driver side? And are you talking about the black wooly insulation cover under the chanel, right above the rear of the intake?

·
Registered
10,930 Posts
Right side as in passenger's side. Small hinged flap about 2X2 inches.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
It's quite different on my car.

You can't really see the hole from the outside at all.

But it's pretty easy to see where they got in with the cowl cover removed. And there was no flap installed on mine, just a damn hole.

What a poor design.

I riveted in some expanded steel over the small hole, and covered the intake duct with 1/4" wire mesh.

If a mouse gets in there now, I'll teach it to drive. :-D

·
Registered
10,930 Posts
Riveting an expanded piece of steel over the exit of the drain will be problematic. Debris will clog the screen, and back water up into the HVAC system through the intake hole. The door is there to block entrance, but must allow the debris to exit so that it is not clogged. You would be advised to make a new door and hinge it as the original was.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I don't see how anything bigger than a millimeter could get in there from the top, and the steel has half inch holes. It's also lines up in a way that the bottom edge is minimally obstructed. Worse case scenario, I can see cleaning it out once a year. Well worth the hassle to stop having to drop the blower motor on a weekly basis.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts