Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
V

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Iam a newbe here so bear w/ me...
I have a 1996 Impala SS totaly stock(because Iam broke),she has 116k and is my daily driver.
There are 3 promlems that are going on now, if any one can help me w/ any or all that would be great.I am at the point where I want to sell her.
1-When Iam at a stop light she seems to stumbel and come back to a steady idel,this doesn't happen at evey stop light.I changed the
PCV valve and replace the fuel filter.What's next, it's getting worse!!!
2-My steering!!!!WTH!!! the best way I can describe it,is she drives you, you don't drive her!!
The only thing I have NOT replaced is the Pitman arm and the steering box.HELP!! I can't keep her on the road.
3-About 6m ago the fuel pump went bad. I replaced it and my gas gauge works but is completly wacked. I know it take more the 30 bucks of gas to fill her.Do I need to replace the sending unit.
If I can get some of these things fix that would great.
Thanks for looking at this post.

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Well, i cant aswer your first question but for the second i would highly suggest an alignment. my 96 ss was doing the same thing. wandering all over the place. ends up the alignment was way off. a huge difference when i went and picked her up. as far as the gas gauge goes, i wouldnt change out the sending unit until it starts dying on you. I think you need a fuel gauge fix kit. i think someone on here sells them for like 30 bucks. your tank should hold 21 gallons i belive. i know ive put 20 into mine before

R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
For the first problem you may try checking the PCV rubber hoses. The one at the front of the intake gets soft and will leak. Also try cleaning the MAF sensor wires with spray throttle body cleaner or spray electronic cleaner. DO NOT touch the sensor wires as they break very easily.
Check all hose for cracks or being loose.

#2 get an alignment and have them adjust the steering box.

#3 If the gauge worked fine before the fuel pump it sounds like they might have messed it up when they did the fuel pump. Best way is to do a new sender when it's convienent.

V

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the reply so quickly

I have had a alignment done sever times but w/
the same results.
I have tried adjusting the streerting box
and it was not any better.

I'll try looking at the PCV lines

Thanks again

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Now, if youre new to these cars you might be confusing the steering issue. These cars tend to "hunt" due to the wide tires. Basicly they like to find any uneven spots on the road and follow them. Mine was like that at first then I just got used to it. Hopefully thats all thats going on with yours

V

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I Have had my Imp SS for 3yrs...and i have heard other people tell me that the car will "hunt" but i think that it might be more than that.
Even when i am on a smooth road the car will drift Left or right.I also seem to be killing my
rt side inner tread.

Y

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I think #1 sounds like the EGR. Disconnect the rubber hose to the EGR and see if you get the same results.

I was experiencing a stumbling when starting from a rolling stop or crusing in a parking lot around 5mph. I disconnected the EGR and problem disappeared. I still need to replace the EGR. It is on my to do list.

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
For the steering issues, you need to check into a few things. I got the DCM with 55k on it and it wandered like crazy. The idler arm and tie rod ends were crap and the ball joints were sloppy. The DGGM had 115k and the whole front end was shot!

Have a "trustworthy" mechanic put it on a rack and check all of the front end parts for wear/play. The idler arm is a big contributor to the wandering. If you are wearing the insides of your tires after alignment, I would guess that it is suspension wear (especially ball joints) rather than alignment problems.

Also - Check your tire pressure and change the pressure up and down to see if it makes a difference. Some tires are more "susceptable" to this problem. My Kumho's would wander until I took the pressure way up. Still does it on very bad roads, but not much.

I replaced the front end on both cars with the PPM kits and it is a night and day difference. I know that you said the $ are tight. The kit is about $350. I had all of mine installed for $550. Just a ball-park number for you.

Tim

V

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Tim,
Thanks for the reply.
I replaced the front end w/ PST orignal parts,
this is why i am pissed,i thought this would fix
most of the promlem.
I will check the tie psi.

JGREER,
Thanks...I will give that a try,if that doesn't
work then what???

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I would HIGHLY recommend that you replace the pitman/idler arm. This is a very weak link (no pun intended :D ) in these cars. This may have a dramatic effect on the car.

I "think" that I have one of the PPM units from my first rebuild (I used the Moog problem Solver unit). It is in my garage and you can have it for $20 shipped. I will take a look tonight and try to find it. Just let me know if you want it and PM me with an address. We can settle up on the $$ when you are in a position to do so.

Tim

B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Originally posted by mattm:
...your tank should hold 21 gallons i belive. i know ive put 20 into mine before
lol Matt, I hope they don't "only" hold 21 gal, as I have consistently put in over 21 and have only seen the idiot light once!! Someone told me, I want to say it was a 21.5-22 gal tank, and then there's the neck which will hold a gallon or so, depending on how you pump into it, after the auto shut-off. Don't live or die by this though... :D

-Jeremy

E

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Do you have the BFGs??? I swear I changed everything in my front end because of the guys. They followed every nook and cranny in the road. Get yourself some Nittos. It was like night and day for me.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Originally posted by SSuspect:
I would HIGHLY recommend that you replace the pitman/idler arm. This is a very weak link (no pun intended :D ) in these cars. This may have a dramatic effect on the car.

I "think" that I have one of the PPM units from my first rebuild (I used the Moog problem Solver unit). It is in my garage and you can have it for $20 shipped. I will take a look tonight and try to find it. Just let me know if you want it and PM me with an address. We can settle up on the $$ when you are in a position to do so.

Tim
Do you still have the pitman arm? My 96 RM wanders like a gypsy. Would it fit my car? How do I check to see if that is, in fact, my problem? Or at least one of them? :D

O

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Problem #1 Since you don't mention a check engine light I assume it does not light; this eliminates a lot of suspects.
First, check your PCM grounds. The PCM is located under the air filter and the grounds run to the engine block. Make sure everything is clean and tight.
Second, check that your ignition grounds, on the top front of the left hand of the block are also clean and tight.
Third, are your plugs clean? If you don't know when they were last changed, now is a good time to do it.
Other potential suspects are fuel pressure regulator, knock sensors and ignition system, but since you don't mention any performance problems, I've ignored those.

Problem #2
It certainly seems that your car needs an alignment. Do a search and read all about what the alignment specs should be for the SS. Be aware that most shops do not do a proper alignment unless you specifically request it. Even then, many shops are unable to properly align our cars.
btw,lots of us have good success with the BFG g-force tires.

Problem #3
It reads as if your sending unit is bad. It's expensive to repair (several $100) so most of don't bother.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Well, i cant aswer your first question but for the second i would highly suggest an alignment. my 96 ss was doing the same thing. wandering all over the place. ends up the alignment was way off. a huge difference when i went and picked her up. as far as the gas gauge goes, i wouldnt change out the sending unit until it starts dying on you. I think you need a fuel gauge fix kit. i think someone on here sells them for like 30 bucks. your tank should hold 21 gallons i belive. i know ive put 20 into mine before
I put 35$ in my 95 SS to fill it up idk with gas prices these days but just as quick as I put it in it's gone lol and when I'm low on gas it studders I smash on gas and nothing studders more then backfires and tranny light comes on have to put gas in it and let it idle for 5mins then the light disappears and she runs perfect

·
Super Moderator
8,421 Posts
Tonevaldez23 - welcome! Please check the dates of the threads you're reading before you post. The three you just posted on were all at least 14 years old.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts