Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
909 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am prepping the engine bay for paint and noticed that these trans lines are sitting on top of everything in the engine bay. Looking at how they're configured, I am wondering if they are supposed to be underneath the PS lines and on top of the cradle.

Anyone point me in the right direction?

·
Registered
7,981 Posts
The power steering lines run along and are attached to the Frame with 2 hangers. The trans cooler lines run above these and sort of follow the engine/oilpan area.

I have attached a pic from when I was converting my cooler lines over to AN fittings. This pic may be the best to show you how the hose sets are run on the car. Keep in mind that in my pic, I have the 9C1 Return/cooler hose so you only see the PS Pressure hose in my pic.

Attachments

·
Registered
976 Posts
Looks correct to me. There is a small bracket that holds them to bottom of AC/PS/ALT bracket, and some sort of clip on oil pan stud(missing on mine).

They do not go under the PS hoses.

·
Registered
7,981 Posts
yes there is a small "double hump" bracket to secure the metal trans lines to the bottom of the accessory bracket and is shown in the first pic. There is also a little clip about halfway between this bracket and the Trans ports that just keep the 2 metal lines rigidly attached to each other.

However, I do not believe on my car that these metal lines were ever directly attached to the oil pan. There may be a bracket on some cars but my car never had one. I do know that the "Engine" Oil cooler lines mount to one of the pan bolts but dont believe the trans lines ever did. I think they are only supported at the accessory bracket and where they install at the trans fittings.

Here is another pic that shows the lines and the PS pressure hose was disconnected and you can see the hose holders that were removed from the frame and use 10 mm coarse thread bolts to install on the crossmember. This pic was taken while doing a Timing chain replace and just removed the PS hose to get it out of the way of the oil pan.

Attachments

·
Registered
8,459 Posts
you can see the witness mark on the lines where the double hump clamp would bolt to the bottom of accessory bracket

Atlanta...now is the best time to replace motor mounts if the inserts are still original...

·
Registered
7,981 Posts
x2 on the motor mounts if you have the time while the motor is out. It is a tricky job to get to some of the bolts that mount them to the frame but is doable.

In doing mine, I went with the Energy Suspension Poly "inserts". You need to separate the metal halves of the mount to remove the rubber portion and replace with the Poly insert. I just used a few bolts/nuts to hold it together and used a couple of tack welds to keep it together. the tie wraps they give for this purpose are useless. Here is a pic of the mount before they were tack welded together.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
909 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Excellent suggestion on the mounts. I'll do them. @4DoorSS - what is the part number on the inserts? Energy Suspension does not list them for our cars.

·
Registered
7,981 Posts

·
Registered
8,459 Posts
IMHO go with the black ones...and a stock rubber tranny mount

I did not weld mine, just used the zip tie to hold them together when bolting them back on. It is easier with a helper

·
Registered
8,459 Posts
pic after my MM swap. Old pic, back when the car was still A4

I remember doing this with Tad (ProTools) back then. One person wrenching from under the car with another on top.

You drill out the rivets on the stock clam shells and then put the new ES inserts in and bolt back together. You use the tie wraps to hold the clam shells together when you bolt them in. Welding them as mentioned would also work if you felt you needed to but I didn't

Attachments

1 - 13 of 13 Posts