Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
next week i will be installing my subs,2 jl audio w7 10"...i'm curious where the bass is going to go because theres is no openings for the bass to travel.i want some people to show me there setup for the bass to travel.has anybody ported a whole threw the rear deck...show me some pics of your setup..... :eek:

E

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Here's my recent set-up - you can see the port through the rear deck:

F

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
take out your 6x9 in your rear deck

now you got 2 holes into cabin

H

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
i have a simple hole in the middle with a porthole out of a old kickerbox

T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
That is a sexy set up E-Dogg....

Here's my set up

T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
BTW 4DR, got a question for you. How come the bass hits hardest when the front windows are down, but the backs are up. And why does the bass hit weakest when the windows are all up?

F

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Originally posted by Cracka Ass Crackuh.:
BTW 4DR, got a question for you. How come the bass hits hardest when the front windows are down, but the backs are up. And why does the bass hit weakest when the windows are all up?
with windows up bass builds pressure
as pressure builds with no release
the subs are fighting their own pressure that they are producing

with front windows down the subs are not fighting the pressure that they create , there is a release thru the open window

U

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hey hevychevy i'd widen up that port a bit, that's almost like a bandpass design, and that one port is no where near enough surface area for 2 12's IMO. Oh, and whos gonna show/tell me how to make that peice to make the back of the trunk flat up where the subs are? I'm wanting to do 1 FI Audio BTL in a ported box and would love something like that.

B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
crackah i like the way it's set up :eek: ..i was scared to make that hole in the rear deck, but it has to be done.very clean,i will post pics of my port,but my trunk is not going to be half as pretty as you guys trunk ..simple box and subs,no clue where the amps is going...lol

H

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Originally posted by jbone_teh_ish:
Hey hevychevy i'd widen up that port a bit, that's almost like a bandpass design, and that one port is no where near enough surface area for 2 12's IMO. Oh, and whos gonna show/tell me how to make that peice to make the back of the trunk flat up where the subs are? I'm wanting to do 1 FI Audio BTL in a ported box and would love something like that.
what if i add 2 more,1 on each side?

H

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Originally posted by Cracka Ass Crackuh.:
[QB] That is a sexy set up E-Dogg....

Here's my set up

i'm suprised the model car hasn't fell apart in there! :eek: whats in the little door on the side?

T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Aight Heavy, if you look closely in the box, you'll see little pieces of black that were once attached to the car. LOL

Yea, doors were glued shut, wheels were in tact: Now doors are open, rear passenger wheel fell off and pieces now just bounce around....LOL, its too funny to me.

And yea, I had a custom ported box built originally and had it firing into the trunk, no holes cut in the rear deck. After I cut just a small 3x6 inch hole in the rear deck, i could CLEARLY hear the differnce. Without any air flow, it is very muffled.

Now, I took it an extra step and ported that hoe through the rear deck. I get no trunk rattle other than the occasional license plate rattle and I hear every note.

If you are going to do it right and don't care about selling it, just put a port in the rear deck.

If you also check out Pimpalas (the inspiration behind mine), he has 3 8's firing into the rear seat and has the ports going through where the 6x9's used to be.

Ask him for pics. His s**t is tight!!!!

R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Cracka...how far is Keller from the ATX, I been eyeing your set-up for a while and have been thinking hard on installing my old stereo, but I had problems with the bass hitting HARD with the trunk UP and not too hard at all with it DOWN..drove me nuts so I want to re-do it...umm kinda like yours.

P

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
THANKS JOHN!

mine fire right into the back of the seat, and the ports go right up where the 6x9 holes used to be.

with a good front stage, rear speakers (besides subs) are totally pointless.

no trunk rattle, no noises, plenty of bass. (W7 8")

T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Yo man, Keller is north of Fort Worth, I am about 5 miles south of Texas Motor Speedway if you know where that is.

And yea, trunk popped or not, I get the same amount of bass. I'm considering doing pop trunk if I can free up some funds....

R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
yeah..I know where that is..did you build that box?

Thx

T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Hell naw. I'm about as handy as a dick in a room full of lesbos. lol

Nah, I paid to have it done but honestly, it really doesn't look THAT hard when everything is taken apart. I'm just not that handy with measurements and wood cutting....lol

but I'm working on it

1 - 20 of 21 Posts