Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking for an organized data base, a library, a cache, of ... 1994-1996 ... 9C1 information, and it seems, that any (1994-1996) 9C1 websites, that existed, 10-20 years ago, no longer exist. I'd prefer to read up, on any data base for (1994-1996) 9C1's, before I start asking alot of 9C1 specific questions. I've tried to look up 9C1 info, that I'm curious about, on this website, and tho I found some answers, I'm looking for more... and not really finding them. I realize, that the (1994-1996) 9C1 is strictly an "add on" group of options, to a Caprice. I guess, I look at (1994-1996) 9C1's, as a totally, completely, separate model, unique, in so many ways, too many ways.

·
Premium Member
1,659 Posts
First, Welcome to the forum. I guess with the new improved(?) site older members will have to accustom ourselves to forgoing a proper intro.
Now depending on the year of your 9C1 most items are pretty much cosmetic, as compared to the SS The 1994 rear quarter window on the 9C1 is a holdover from previous model Caprices. The SS had an add on that became more pleasing in 95. Besides extra cooling, oil, trans and maybe a heavier fan motor, one other difference is the width of the differential housing. The 9C1 is narrower. Several other items would be the silicone hoses and suspension springs. Even the sway bars are the same. Sometime in 95 there was also a change from 9/16th inch to 5/8th inch ball joints.
Check your SPID label in the trunk to see if the agency that originally purchased your car paid for any upgrades. My Oklahoma Highway Patrol 1993 had several. G80 and 3.42s. Maybe the G80 was standard on 9C1s & I think 3.08 were standard.
Hope all this is helpful. Others will have more, I'm sure.
With that, let your questions begin.

Mark: Snowman-33

Edit: I just thought of another thing and that's the N97(?) wheels.

·
Registered
1,776 Posts
Unfortunately, you're probably right, there are (most likely) no organized databases / caches of B-car 9C1 info left.
(9C1.net, we hardly knew ye …)

WE, the ISSF, are all that's left.
While it is unfortunate that we seem to no longer be amenable to gathering and organizing any new databases to safeguard the old info - it's enough dealing with what xenforo has done to this forum - you will have to settle for a post-Fahrenheit 451, Socratic style of information exchange and absorption.

For the record, the similarities between a V92, a 9C1-LT1, a WX3, and a V4P, pretty much outweigh the differences - and more importantly, nearly all of the functionally important differences are effectively interchangeable / upgrade-able.
(These days, there are not many 9C1-LT1 Caprices left, that have not been … appreciated with excess enthusiasm and vigor - nor can I afford $10K for a lovingly maintained Cadillac Fleetwood V4P - so IFF I wind up with another B-car, it'll likely be a Roadmaster or Fleetwood 2.56 or 2.93, which will then be upgraded with some V4P here, some 9C1 there, etc)

You got questions? We got answers.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
  • First question(s) ... , "special" exterior paint colors, for 9C1s, from the factory. How were they ordered? , or where's the list of "special colors", they could be painted with? Or how did special exterior colors get ordered? Or did 9C1s ever really get, special factory paint colors? Due to a death in the family, I'm now the caretaker for two 9C1s. One (1994) has the medium Adriatic blue paint codes, and the same interior color, in cloth, and it's easy to see, with the various SPID codes, they all match, the "Adriatic Blue" family of exterior and interior SPID codes, for that color, and the Adriatic Blue paint code of WAU9907. However, the other 9C1, 1995, has the following paint codes on the SPID label. 01L and 01U. These are listed on my SPID decoding sheet as ... 01L= secondary color, exterior, special... and 01U = primary color, exterior, special. The 4 digit reference paint codes, at the bottom left of the SPID are listed, (on top of one another) as... WA9753 and WA8555. That's supposed to be 9753=white and 8555=black. So....... My biggest question is... Who originally painted this car, it's, emerald green metallic, the first time? The factory? , or the CHP, in mid 1995, when they got it, from Chevrolet ? The color is extremely (pure) green, ( darker green ) metallic. I'd call it an emerald green. It absolutely is not DGGM. It's extremely green green, darker, and a metallic. The car was re-painted, in 2012, with the same color, that was on the car, when it was purchased in 2000 from the CHP. I saw the car, in 2000 when it came out of the CHP resale lot, in Torrance, California, and I've looked at it many many times, since then, and it seems to me, that (stunning, IMHO) emerald green color, was either the factory color, or the CHP painted it, when it was new, in mid 1995. But I'm thinking, its a factory painted color, tho maybe special ordered. It definitely had not been repainted, at point of re-sale, in 2000. The car had 106,607 miles on 7-17-2000 when the CHP sold it off, (Hamilton Avenue, in Torrance, California). The paint, was very nice, at that time, tho far from new, but everything looked very factory original, at that time. Also, there does not seen to be any other paint codes, on the SPID sticker. The 64E code on the SPID sticker matches the tan, cloth interior, ( no center arm rest ). Im assuming, I'm simply overlooking, paint codes, to be found elsewhere, on the car, but I haven't found any.

·
Premium Member
1,659 Posts
Right now my body is on blocks so I just went out and looked. I knew there was a label that referred to the paint. It's located in front of the A pillar but only can be seen if the fender is removed. Mine has a long number and then it has Primary Color Special-1. Under that it reads 8554 then there is Primary color Special-2 with 8555 the last is Body Style Scheme O12.
I know that OHP used to have what was referred to as a "Duck Tail" behind the rear doors. It was a white triangle with the long leg on top sloping toward the rear. If I remember correctly, years ago and maybe still Michigan State patrol copyrighted their blue color on their cars. This may be similar with CHP. IDK. Have you found the build sheet under the seat? That may provide more info for you. I just remembered that a picture is worth a 1000 words.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,528 Posts
What is your need for the exact paint code? Is it just for trivia? or to you need to repaint some part. If the latter, a good paint suppy place with a very good paint match guy would be able to fix you up just fine. For trivia, these days, eh.. nice to know but wouldn't lose sleep over it :)

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'll have to look for the build sheet, and see if I can find it. I don't care about matching the paint. It's just fine, as it is. I mainly want to know, what the car looked like, the minute, it rolled off the factory line. If it wasn't emerald green, as it rolled off, the assembly line, then the CHP must have painted it, when it was new. I suppose I don't really care what the emerald green paint code # is, if it has a code, however, I do want to understand, codes 01L , 01U, better, and I want to know, was this car emerald green, from the factory. Or was it a B&W? If it's an emerald green factory color, with that paint, as being custom, then I also want to understand, that better, and hear of other Caprice cars, that may have had the same... My car enthusiasm, runs, extremely deep, but at the core, of what I care about, most, ( other than safety, simple operational details & driving enjoyment, etc) is the history, of the particular car, and understanding, what's unique, or unsolved, about the cars, colors, options, SPID numbers, body codes, build sheets, ppr trail, etc...

·
Premium Member
1,659 Posts
If you have looked at the picture I provided you will notice that I too have the same 01L & 01U in my sheet. I'm guessing that these are not unique colors, unless you had a black & white that was painted.
Now more details to look at. Check the trunk to see if there is a sign of a different color than the green. Lift the carpet and look under there too. I doubt that CHP would go as far as to paint the floor.
Unless you could find a "friend" at the Arlington plant or some record geek in the California purchasing dept., I see no way you can investigate the life of your car. I do want to thank you for the "Mind Activity" you've given me today.

·
Premium Member
1,659 Posts

·
Registered
1,776 Posts
I'll have to look for the build sheet
Did you check under the shotgun seat? Most people these days find that they need to remove the front passenger seat to finagle the build sheet out from between the spring frame and the bottom of the underside of the seat cushion.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
TY! This is all helpful ... (1)What side of your car is that sticker found on, under the fender, near the A pillar? Divers side , or pass side? (2) Is your car, a Black and White? (3) Is there a data base, a gallery , of SPID stickers, for me to look at, on this web site?

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for pointing out that exact location! Tho I probably won't be able to pull that seat, for a month, or longer...

·
Premium Member
1,659 Posts
TY! This is all helpful ... (1)What side of your car is that sticker found on, under the fender, near the A pillar? Divers side , or pass side? (2) Is your car, a Black and White? (3) Is there a data base, a gallery , of SPID stickers, for me to look at, on this web site?
Sorry, I had meant to include that the sticker I showed you is under the driver side fender. I did have a long list of the SPID codes but somehow deleted it last month. Yes mine is a B&W. For now. I even met the trooper it was assigned to at a funeral for a trooper friend of mine that was murdered. For a short time this car was my patrol car too. Several pursuits convinced me this big B body was the way to go. The only other car I would like right now would be my 2014 Tahoe PPV. Sadly after I gave it up the under sheriff, Non Driver, rolled it.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts