Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
U

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey guys, am in the process of lowering my '94 wagon and need above mentioned spring compressor, tryin to avoid eating a sprung spring. would've thought the tool was readily available, local tool crib says $150 and one week to order, kinda wanted to work on it over the long weekend. have tried local tool rental places, and carparts, ie autozone/advanced etc, nada. any info is much appreciated. thanks.

A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I rented one from Kragen's on the last swap, cost $10 to rent as long as I needed it.

That said.....you can easily get out stock springs without a compressor, and EASILY get the lowering ones in without one. The only reason I needed one on that job was to get the springs back IN.....and even then, didn't need it by much.

So, for your job you don't need the compressor. Just disconnect the balljoint with a jack under the A-arm, and SLOWLY lower it out of there. Once it's completely down, you'll be able to (relatively) easily get the spring out. And the shorter lowering spring will be a piece of cake in comparison.

P

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I would recommemd that you loop a chain through the spring and around the frame to hold the spring in place if you have never done it this way before. If the jack slips when lowering the a-arm the spring could come out if it isn't contained.

B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
AutoZone has one in their FREE rental program that I used.
And I'm very glad I did. The stock Caprice spring would not have come out with out it, not safely anyway.
Careful anyway, still had one slip and I caried a bruise under my finger nail for months. Boy did that hurt :eek:
Later,

B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I got my spring compressor for $60 from the local Parts Plus. Probably could have done the job without it, but it seemed easier than catching a spring with my forehead.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts