Chevy Impala SS Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yes folks I know we have been down this road before
But I got one more question if you were to build a 383 stroker LT1 which size connecting rod would you favor?? the stock 5.7" rod or a 6" rod?? With ease of build and overall performance rather than higher peak number being the main considerations?

I know that 6" rod offers a better rod/stroke ratio, more time spent at TDC therefore time to build pressure and torque and more machanical advantage and Smokey Yunick said to "stuff the longest rod you can in there" and yadayadayadayada. But the it seems to me that the short rod version is more or less a a 30 over rebuild with a different size crank(3.75" stroke) and some minor block clearancing and compared to the long rod version with its weaker pistons more agressive block clearancing and more chances to screw up.

Am I right in my assesment or wrong??

Colin

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I was doing some reading recently(might have even been here) and it seems that the 6" would offer no more than a 2% gain. Now the stock rods are very good so if you go with 5.7" you only need to recondition not buy new ones. It is your money though.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
In Lingenfelter's small block chevy book, he mentions that he favors the longer rod for NA strokers. Not for performance, but for durability - less side load on the cylinders. For power adders he likes the shorter rod because the rings are further down the piston and less likely to burn. So assuming you have the budget for new rods, I guess it depends on whether you plan on running natural or power adder.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Randy

Thanx for responding to my post I have just tried to send you an email containing questions re: 1.6 ratio rocker arm in iron heads and Crane valve springs but I got delivery failure on two addreses I got for you. So I'll post the questions on the forum.

Colin Wilson,
Brooklyn, NY

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.