Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I did the Home Depot intake and want to swap out the flat filter for a cone. Which models (K&N and S&B) are correct? Seems this would have been posted a dozen times, but numerous searches turned up no part numbers.

1996 Fleetwood (LT1) - same filter/intake setup as the B-Bodies.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Biggest you can fit.
Since a dozen or so people on here must have done this, I was hoping someone could tell me exactly what that size is with a model number. That way, it's around for everyone else.

·
Registered
11,013 Posts
get an amsoil EAA filter. They're $50.00, but no stupid oil to worry about, they filter a ton better than cotton oil filters, and they're very well built.

·
Registered
1,843 Posts
Since a dozen or so people on here must have done this, I was hoping someone could tell me exactly what that size is with a model number. That way, it's around for everyone else.
Well, you'll get a range of answers as you can already see. There is no end all answer. You need to measure to see what the largest size is you can accomodate inside the box. Some say as large as possible w/ the assumption being the more air you can get in, the more power you can generate. The problem w/ this is it can't inhale any more than it can exhale. Actually, the smaller cones can provide perfectly adequate CFM volume if the exhaust and engine internals are still stock-like.

I'm mainly chiming in to say they're a great item, do require bi-annual servicing for cleaning and oiling (no big deal at all), but will allow in more fine particulate matter than a paper filter. When you install it, get a couple of pairs of generic or Leggs brand ankle high pantyhose and pull 2 of them over the filter. Keeps the engine cleaner and happier in the long run.

See this:
http://www.verociousmotorsports.com...41399?id=7711&c=606473&h=2f46aecb1321e3f471d1
to determine the size you'll want. As you can see, you can order a variety of lengths, so that's why I mentioned measuring 1st.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for all the feedback. It looks like the K&N RU-3130 fits, probably even in the stock airbox, though I have yet to confirm. I'm going to look into that amsoil filter too. If anyone's running any of these, please post what part number and what box, if any. That way people can see exactly what combos might work.

·
Registered
3,271 Posts
I did the Home Depot intake and want to swap out the flat filter for a cone. Which models (K&N and S&B) are correct? Seems this would have been posted a dozen times, but numerous searches turned up no part numbers.

1996 Fleetwood (LT1) - same filter/intake setup as the B-Bodies.

After using the Cone Filters for years
I stayed with the modified Stock Box on the SSuperWagon.

Considering mine is a daily driver.
The Stock Filters keeps the engine cleaner than the Reusable Cone Filters.

When drag racing have pulled the Filter out out to reduce backpressure.
Though kepted the Screen in the MAF.

FWIW
Have not seen any ET improvement without a Filter.
But there is a better responce with my Sewar set up.

IMHO going to a Cone Filter is overrated.
Getting a good and consistent stream of cool air to the airbox is what is important.

Otherwise have seen any measurable difference in ET performance between K&N type and Stock Paper Filters.

Dan

1 - 8 of 8 Posts