Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone know which repair manual is best for the Fleetwood, specifically the 1996? I found a few options listed below.

Haynes did not make one for the Fleetwood. They do have a B-Body manual for the Impala SS, Caprice and Roadmaster. I assume this is 95% accurate for the D-Body, right? For those of you interested, here's a link Amazon.com: Chevrolet Impala SS and Caprice, Buick Roadmaster 1991-1996 (Haynes Manuals) (9781563922497): John Haynes: Books: Reviews, Prices & more

There is also the GM factory manual here http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-list...?ie=UTF8&qid=1288478259&sr=8-1&condition=used

Autozone has some info online, but for the Fleetwood, it's very lacking.

Any thoughts as to which is best?

·
Registered
3,612 Posts
The FSM is the way to go. Other than the powertrain and suspension, the Fleetwood is a totally different animal than the B-body. I bought a used set off ebay for much less than the prices of the ones you found on Amazon.

·
Registered
3,096 Posts
The FSM is the way to go. Other than the powertrain and suspension, the Fleetwood is a totally different animal than the B-body. I bought a used set off ebay for much less than the prices of the ones you found on Amazon.
I have to second this although I don't own a Fleetwood. FSM is the ONLY way to go. Between this forum and ebay you should be able to find an affordable set. Remember, they are a set, not just one manual. Much more specific info in the factory manuals.

·
Premium Member
860 Posts
I third the above...

eBay is FULL of Factory Service Manuals for the '96 Fleetwood. If you cannot find one for a decent price then you are not looking. I bought two sets. One to use and a very "new" set for show with the car.

If you have a car you plan on keeping in good condition and perhaps making it a keeper, then get the FSM. You will not regret it. Just for grins I picked up a Haynes manual back when I first got the Roadmaster wagon. It was cheap and I already had the FSM. Sometimes their approach is helpful but mostly sorely lacking in depth.

Good luck with your choices.

Happy Halloween!

Richard Snipes
4501 Safari in Jax, FL

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Solved - just get the Factory Service Manual on Ebay

Thanks for the help, guys. You're right, Ebay does have them for cheap. I was searching there under the actual ISBN, "1996 Fleetwood Factory Service Manual" resulted in multiple hits.

In case anyone else is interested, Ebay had a bunch. Many were buy it now between $30 and $50 with a few a few around $20-30. Found one set (my new set) at $10. Plus shipping on all these, of course.

Thanks again.

·
Registered
392 Posts
The FSM is fatter than a modern metropolis phone book.
Invaluable if you do your own labor on your car, and nearly as valuable even if you don't.

Too cheap on ebay NOT to own one!

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Invaluable if you do your own labor on your car, and nearly as valuable even if you don't.
Is there another way? ... Oh, those mechanic guys. Psshht.

·
Registered
1,297 Posts
I have to agree with what has already been said. I have the SS/Caprice/Roadmaster manual by Haynes, and it is definitely lacking the depth of the FSM. Haynes manuals are sometimes a decent quick reference for something, but in general I get frustrated with their lack of detail.

I have a binder version of the FSM, not a later bound version, and it is missing some sections and has duplicates of others. Nonetheless, it has paid for itself many times over. This thread reminded me that I've been meaning to look for a better complete version on eBay. ;)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts