Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, my barely 2 year old heatercore from autozone went a few months ago, but since it was just about summer I bypassed it until this time now when it starts getting cool again.

Now my question is, which one should I get? Is there a difference in quality between different brands? There's 5 options on rockauto, 4 of which are about $35 and then theres the ACDelco one is $62. The other brands are TYC, ADPI/PRO, Spectra and Vista Pro. Going to order this weekend, so does it matter which one I go with?

·
Registered
11,219 Posts
Since they are made from copper, you can solder the leak with some plumber's solder and a propane torch. Once you have it sealed, save it for a spare.

The coolant and other metals in the cooling system slowly attack the copper in the heater core. If you switch to a non water coolant, it should stop the electrolysis, and make all of the parts last longer. When I am done with my new engine install, I am going to put non water coolant in the car. You do have to be meticulous about removing all of the water from the system, because the non water coolant does not like water mixed with it. The company making it is Evans.

·
Premium Member
38 Posts
Go with the Delphi!

deviltrigger,

I am going thru this battle as we speak and I will be returning the AC Delco unit to Rock Auto tomorrow. I also will be returning a Murray Brand Heater Core I bought from Oreilys Auto Parts. Both have a smaller Core than the OE Part. For this reason I am returning both and having Oreilys special order the Delphi. Hope this helps!

·
Premium Member
2,090 Posts

·
Premium Member
38 Posts
Fyi

ocala,

The ebay link in your original thread is no longer valid. At any rate, I purchased a AC Delco HC from Rock Auto last week and it arrived not having the clamp or any insulation material(When I pulled the original HC it didnt have any Seals/Insulation like in the Haynes Manual so maybe this doesnt apply). Also, the Core is smaller than the original just like the Murray that Oreilys sold me(see pic). Can you take pictures of the HC you have and let me know where can I get it? Im on my 3rd HC now...someone please help, lol!

Thanks!

Attachments

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Man, looks like pretty much every HC nowadays is a knockoff that is smaller and doesn't last besides the Delphi, and I can't find that one literally anywhere. Not sure what I should do, I really don't feel like replacing it every year.

·
Premium Member
38 Posts
Not sure..

Not sure dt, I've pretty much exhausted all my options.

Oreilys AP is now asking me for my VIN# so they can search around for the Delphi for me...Its ridiculous. They have it listed on their website as a special order item and then the guy tells me that corporate says they can no longer purchase the part.

I said, when this core blows are you guys going to replace it and he said yeh so I am going to install the Murray that I bought from them for $50. The way I look at it, in FL I only need Heat for a Month or two maybe so If I have to replace it, I will search again then and maybe the Delphi will be available at that time. As for now I just want to get my Engine buttoned back up so in goes the Murray although Im definitely not happy about it..:mad:

Hope this helps!

·
Premium Member
2,090 Posts
http://www.ebay.com/ulk/itm/221214722734

This is the one I installed. I know it says it's for a 91 to 92 b body. All I can tell you is that it's VERY close in dimensions to the OEM that I removed, and it IS as pictured. At least mine was...

Beautiful OEM quality. And it DID fit... I haven't run the car yet, still working on installing the engine.

YMMV... Good luck

·
Premium Member
2,090 Posts
I just bought another.

Three left... :)

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I saw that one when I was browsing ebay for the delphi, but in their own vehicle compatibility section it said it doesn't fit my car so I kept looking. Since I can't find anything else I'm going on faith and ordered one hoping it will fit lol. Thanks ocala!

·
Premium Member
2,090 Posts
I saw that one when I was browsing ebay for the delphi, but in their own vehicle compatibility section it said it doesn't fit my car so I kept looking. Since I can't find anything else I'm going on faith and ordered one hoping it will fit lol. Thanks ocala!

If it doesn't fit in sure you'll have no problem selling it. Made in USA!!!

I have a 92 roadmaster, so it wasn't much of a risk for me. But it did fit in the impala... I measured my OEM part from my impala against it, and as I said, they are VERY close.

You may never have another chance to get an OEM heater core.

·
Premium Member
2,090 Posts
All gone... That didn't take long.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
That didn't take long, glad I had the money to snag mine real quick! Supposed to be here Oct 6 or 7, I'll install the following weekend and let everyone know!

·
Registered
1,505 Posts
Found 3 on amazon. Pic looks wrong but right part number. Mine just shipped. Price better too, 39.99 shipped.

·
Registered
2,350 Posts
That didn't take long, glad I had the money to snag mine real quick! Supposed to be here Oct 6 or 7, I'll install the following weekend and let everyone know!
so how did it work out? did it fit?

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Oh crap, totally forgot! Yes that part fit perfectly fine, and like others have said, this one was almost twice the thickness as the replacement I got from Autozone!

·
Registered
449 Posts

·
Registered
2,350 Posts

·
Registered
449 Posts
Went I ordered mine Korey it showed that they still had one in stock. Now showing zero so someone must have gotten one after I got mine.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts