Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need to ask for some things for Christmas and want some different stereo equiptment. I've been running stock speakers (which are blown) for soo long, I forgot what music sounds like played on a real system. It's pretty sad when my best stereo set up is with my computer system. Klipsch Promedia 5.1's sound AWESOME!

Anyhow, I am leaning tword an Alpine deck since I have had alpine ever since I could drive. I have noticed that we don't have to have all the same name brand components which is good. I need to get some opinions on everything. Head unit, amps, speakers, etc. I know they are broad questions but I only want to do this once seeing as I have had the same head unit for over 12 years. I do want the MP3 feature seeing as it's almost a standard now.

Thanks for any help!

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Hey 94... There is HUGE variability here... It all depends on how much money you want to spend...

Here are a few options, but it all bomes down to budget and how you want your car set up...

Head units: Eclipse or Alpine are good choices (so are others, but I prefer these)

Speakers: Focal, MB Quart

Amps: Rockford Fosgate, Xtant, Audiobahn

It just gets crazy... There are so many options. I am sure that many others will tag onto this thread with opinions... All I can say is to buy quality gear. You will not be sorry.

Tim

K

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Here's the basic system in my Impala:

Alpine head unit (I think the 9813 would be the most comparable current model)

Alpine 6.5" R series component speakers in front doors

Alpine 6x9 R series coax speakers in rear deck

JL Audio 10IB4 10" Free-air subs (two) mounted in Scott Williams trunk kit Baffle board behind stock location spare tire

JL Audio 250/1 amp powering subs

Alpine F340 (4x55w) 4 channel amp powering speakers

Sounds awesome, wasn't insanely expensive, and it's crystal clear to beyond the volume that causes those inside the car physical pain

My wagon will be getting a very similar system... 9813 head unit, same speakers front and rear... the free-airs (lacking a trunk and all) will be replaced by a JL Audio 12w3 V2 12" sub powered by a 500/1 JL Audio Amp... and since I got a great deal on it the regular speakers will be powered by a JL Audio 300/4 amp.

B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I've Always Used Alpine Head Units Also! The One I Have Currently Is The Alpine CDA-D857 Full Face GM Size (Which They Dont Make Anymore). As Far As Head Units That Dont Skip If You Prefer To Have LARGE Subs In Your System That Vibrate Your Fillings Loose (Which I DONT!),The Pioneer Head Units Seem To Be The Best At This And Believe Me, Me And My Son Have Installed Nearly Every Brand In Many Cars This Year And The Pioneers (DEH-P3500,3600, 4500,4600 0R 5500 Models) Are Nearly Skip Free! Anyhow, Here's What I Have In My Caprice:
1. Alpine CDA-D857 Head Unit (GM Full Size)
2. MTX RTX-02A 3 Way Crossover
3. Infinity Kapaa 6 1/2 Components In The F-Doors
4. Infinity Kappa 4X6 Plate Speakers In 2 Custom Made Fiberglass Boxes, Located In The Corners In The Rear Deck.
5. Two Kicker "Free Air" 8" Mid Bass Speakers, In The 6X9 Rear Deck Locations (Modding To The Rear Deck Had To Be Done For These)
6. Alpine MRV-F450 5 Way Amp Powering The Whole Setup
7. 8 Gauge Wires For Power and Ground and Plenty Of Dynamat In The F-Doors And Rear Deck!

I Dont Do RAP So The 8's Are More Than Enough For The Low End Fill And As Knightshade Said, It Will Make Your Ears Bleed and It's Still "Crystal Clear". BTW, Bought All The Components From Vendors Off of E-Bay Which Is Fine If You Know Everything You Need To Do this Type Of Install But If You Dont? , Crutchfield Will Set You Up With Everything You'll Need Inc Instructions But Their Prices Are Higher! Here's The Website But I Suggest You Call Them Also and Tell Them Everything You Have Planned? Their Very Good At Setting People Up for an Install!....Mike

Crutchfield Car Audio

B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Pioneer deh77p head unit. perfect fit, and very flexible. 3 pre outs and direct hookup to xm. Hacks free air board, and a pair of free air pioneer 10's. Planet audio 6.5 components. Two amps, one for fronts, the other for subs. An amp for the rear 6x9's, imho is a waste. Sounds great. I have similar setups in both cars. Most of it from ebay:
New H/U: $170
subs $80/pair!
fronts $90
Amps .99 cents plus shipping. I had to replace a few transistors though! Now they rock! :D :D
Misc. $100 wires, stuff, etc.

I really like the sound of the freeairs in this car. I have one w/ JL IB4's (no longer available) and one with pioneer free airs. I think the Pioneer's are every bit of the JL's, if not better! As an added bonus, you get to keep your trunk.

As was mentioned there are a billion ways to go about this, I happen to really like my recipe though, and would reccomend it anyone.

Peter

B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ebay. I bought a bunch of em, .99 was the least I paid, about 15 the most, plus the 12 shipping. These are bazooka amps that had to be fixed, usually output transistors, but some had other faults. They retail for about 250 or more new.
It was fun to fix em. I still have a few if anyone is interested.

Peter

B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
No. Just use really good wire, 4 gauge if it is a big amp, otherwise 8. Ah hell, just go 4. There is a big debate over the usefulness of capacitors, and many of the db winners do not use them. If your wire is stout enough, (this includes the ground wire!), and you have a really good ground, you should be 'grinning.

Peter

C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Amp-wise, I am partial to Precision Power (PPI). They have the cleanest sound around. I have two 440's, one in my Miata driving front components and rear deck 6x8's, the other about to go into my Cruiser. In the Miata, 40 watts/channel is PLENTY, since I don't have a sub or anything. The Cruiser might eventually need more oomph, but I'm not really into volume; I'll take quality over quantity.

HU-wise, I have Alpine in the Cruiser, OEM in the Miata (discourages thieves when I leave the top down).

Speakers are Pioneer 6x8s plus Boston tweeters in the Miata, and I'm about to install Pioneer tweets and Infinity 6x9s in the Cruiser.

c.

H

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Headunits, I'd say clarion, eclipse and kenwood.
Subs, amps, I'd say phoenix gold(hands down).
Mids/highs, I'd say phoenix gold or mb quart.

Right now, I have a clarion deck, phoenix gold subs/amps, and mb quart mids/highs. It sounds great, but if I could do it over again, I'd get the phoenix mids/highs. I've owned rockford fosgate stuff, and it sucked compared to my phoenix stuff. Just my $.02

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Ok, I've decided to go with the Alpine 9815 head unit over the 9813 just because of the display (color and shows more details). Kind of a dumb reason but it's going on my Christmas "wish list." Never hurts to ask! About the amps., how can it effect sound quality when all it's doing is boosting the power? I was looking at the price on some Phoenix Gold stuff and it's really pricy! Like I said, I'm very naive on the car audio subject but I have to start somewhere. Thanks!

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Hi:

The Zeb (www.thezeb.com) is having a sale on CDT speakers. Many people have bought the 6.5" CL61a's for $149.95 at 50% discount and have been very pleased. CDT's other speakers are also on sale.

Regards,
John

B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Novice, What Exactly Are You Wanting To Get Out Of Your Stereo System? Is It Just For Dailey Driving? Are You Going To Be Entering It In Car Audio Shows? If It's Just For Dailey Driving, Then It's Not Nessasary To Buy The Phoenix Gold Amps (There Competition Amps). If Any, How Many Subs Do You Want To Run In Your Car? Amps Come In Classes To Define There Quality. Class A Is Your Average Amp. Class A/B Is a Better Quality Amp. Class D (Digital) Is Is Near The Best. Here's a Good Class A/B 4 Way Amp For Running 4 New Speakers (Doors And Rear Deck) In Your Car. It's an Audiobahn A4401T..$200.00 Inc S&H
(Read The Product Specs Under Each Amp).
Audiobahn A4401T
If You Just Want To Use The Power Off Of Your New Alpine Head Unit For The Front And Rear Speakers (Keep In Mind That Your Head Unit Is Realisticly Going To Put Out About 25 Watts Per Channel) And Add a Sub For Some Good Low End Bass, Here's Another Amp To Will Fit Your Needs!
It's an AUDIOBAHN A8002T. My Son Has This Amp In His 94 Chevy Ext Cab Truck With 2-12" Audiobahn Subs And It Runs My Ass Right Out Of The Truck!
$188.00 Shipped!
AUDIOBAHN A8002T
( BTW The Alpine 9815 Head Unit You Picked Out Is Nice.... Good Choice ).
Again, You Need To Figure Out Just What Want To Do With The System Before Making Some Amp/Speaker Decisions? I Can Tell You To Stay Away From These Brands Because They Are Cheap!
1. Legacy
2. Pyle
3. Pyramid
4. Sony Explod's Lower End ($99.00)
5. Lanzar's Low End $99.00 Models

These Are Some Good Name Brand Amps (Class A/B)
1. Memphis
2. Audiobahn
3. Autotek
4. Rockford Fosgate
5. Alpine
6. Precision Power (PPI)

No, All Amps Are NOT Created Equal! Look For These Following Items When Shopping In The Amps Specs:
1.Class A/B
2.Variable Hi Pass/Low Pass Crossovers
3.S/N Ratio 100dB
4.MOSFET Power Supply
5.THD(Total Harmonic Distortion) Around 0.05 %
Or Less.

Hope This Helps? E-Mail Me If You Need Help With Chucking The Factory Speakers And Replacing Them With Some Good Quality Speakers That You Dont Have To "Take a 2nd Mortgage" Out To Pay For! Your Alpine 9815's V Drive Internal Amps Are Pretty Good Setup But Your Going To Need To Run a 10 Gauge Wiring Kit For This Head Unit Because Of These Amps High-Current Draw requires direct fused connection to your Battery (It's Worth It). You'll Also Love The Onboard Parametric EQ System Also!
The Standard Size Factory Speakers In Your Caprice Are: 4X6 In The F-Doors And 6X9 In The Rear Deck. Many On The Forum (Inc Myself) Went With 6 1/2"s Components In The Front Doors And The Easily Fit With This Home Made Wood Adaptor Plate Designed By Hack On The Forum: Door Speaker Template
IMO, I Like To Match The Same Type Of Speakers In all 4 Factory Openings (Same Brand And Series). Here's a Few Door Speaker Setup's To Check Out!
Polk Audio DB6750
Infinity KaPaa 60.5cs
Infinity Reference 6000cs
Boston Acoustics FS60

Again,E-Mail Me If Ya Need Any Help With The Deck Speakers Or Anything Else?.......Mike

H

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Originally posted by '94 9C1 Novice:
About the amps., how can it effect sound quality when all it's doing is boosting the power? I was looking at the price on some Phoenix Gold stuff and it's really pricy! Like I said, I'm very naive on the car audio subject but I have to start somewhere. Thanks!
The phoenix stuff is expensive, but well worth it. For example, I spent $650 on an amp from them, and 3 years after having it, it took a ****. Well, I sent it back, and they rebuilt it with all new internals, for $130. Haven't had a single problem since.

As for the amps being just a power adder, they are much more than that. They also process signal output, and can reduce(or increase) distortion and ground noise. The quality plays a BIG factor here. My phoenix's have silent turn-on/turn-off, and there is no distortion. The rockford amps I used to have made a popping noise when they turned on/off, and sometimes distorted the music. They also destroyed 4 pair of front speakers, one pair of rear speakers, and one pair of subs. My phoenix's have yet t do any of that.

All I have to say, is do it right the first time, cause if you have to redo it, you'll be kicking yourself for cutting corners(I know I was).

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
All good advice. I will look into which amps to use soon. I currently have an old Alpine V12 300 or 400 which I was running all 4 stock speakers. Should I stick with this amp for the four replacement stock speakers or should I sell it and start from scratch?

Where is the best place to by my 9815? Ebay has buy it now's for $326. Crutchfield has them for $499 and my local dealer has them for $599! :eek: Would I be safe going through ebay if their feedback is good?

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I'm a little suprised that no one has said this but from what I have heard it is WELL worth the little extra effort to make the adaptors for the 6.5". Just saying this becuase you said something about replacement stock speakers. I myself have unfortunatly not yet redone mine, but when I do I am going to go with 6.5". Also if you are thinking about going with the free air subs, i found these Xtant's that I was thinking of using, but no one else has used them yet so I dont know how they sound. I hope that was some help, and hopefully I will actually do mine some time in the future.

B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Novice, I Bought ALL the Items For My Caprice Off Of E-Bay Sellers. Here's A Seller That I Have Dealt With Recently That Ships Quick And Provide You a Tracking # For Your Item To Keep Tabs On It. The Guy Has The Alpine 9815, We Have Bought Several Audio Items Off Him With NO Problems!...Mike

Indoaudio On E-Bay

D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
the 9815 is a great choice over the 9813, not only for the screen.

The 9815 has so many features you will actually use when you have a decent system that you will always be happy with it.

I personally couldnt ask for more than that unit offers.

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I see he's selling them for a good price. It seems to be off set by this

" The powerful output of Alpine's V-Drive internal amplifier requires a direct fused connection to your vehicle's battery! We recommend that you purchase a 10-gauge amp wiring kit. We offer that for $15.00.

and $25 in shipping. Do I really need what he's describing above? If I do need it, could I get it cheaper somewhere else locally?

What do you think about using the old Alpine V12 amp.?

As far as my factory speakers, they are all toast. I'm cruising around with no tunes at all. Here are a few pics of the current condition of my interior.

1 - 20 of 45 Posts