Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I'm almost done with my suspension rebuild ... the only thing left are the ball joints, but when I looked at them and saw that I need a special tool I said forget it, it seems hard. I read people took their ball joints to places that charge like $40 each side. So I called a few places and they gave me quotes at around $400 which I WAY to much. Does anyone know of a shop in Los Angeles that can do this cheaper? Thanks!

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
You can rent a tool to press in balljoints at Autozone. You leave $100 deposit and when you return the tool, they return your $100.

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The more pressing problem I had was removing it, it seems like PIA. Don't know how to do that exactly.

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Originally posted by 96SuperSport:
The more pressing problem I had was removing it, it seems like PIA. Don't know how to do that exactly.
Did you use the balljoint tool?

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I did a search on its removal and installation but I didnt' feel like I knew exactly what to do so I didn't feel comofrtable getting the tool. So the same press that installs it can also remove it? Whats the procedure for removal besides taking of the nut. The upper ball joint I know I have to drill to get the rivets out so would I use the same tool to remove that one or fork spliter?

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yes, the tool you rent is for pressing them out and pressing them in.

I can't remember the exact procedure. I just followed the Haynes manual and it worked.

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Awsome ... I'll give it a shot tomarrow.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts