Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My new RMS handles like a wet sponge. Nice for the ride, but I’d like to wallow less in corners and sag less when I punch it. So...

Ran Monroe Severe on my Fleetwood and liked them for about 70k miles. I’m reading others may be better for a good price. So, I think I have it narrowed down to the KYB Gas-a-just and the spring assisted Gabriel or Monroes. I’m not willing to pay over 2x for the Bilsteins.

Recommendations?

·
Registered
7,807 Posts
My new RMS handles like a wet sponge. Nice for the ride, but I’d like to wallow less in corners and sag less when I punch it. So...

Ran Monroe Severe on my Fleetwood and liked them for about 70k miles. I’m reading others may be better for a good price. So, I think I have it narrowed down to the KYB Gas-a-just and the spring assisted Gabriel or Monroes. I’m not willing to pay over 2x for the Bilsteins.

Recommendations?

Coil-assisted shocks = instant permanent no. Replace the coils for preferred ride. Lots of options and easy to change.

Monroe SS are quite good. Better/firmer likely cost more.
Do you have stabilizer bar(s)? If not, do you want them for better cornering? Several oem options, and several more aftermarket.

Check your SPID on the trunk lid and go from there.

·
Registered
10,905 Posts
Be extremely careful with a coil assisted shock on the front. They are called coilovers, and the lower shock mount is not designed to take the pressure from a spring.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I’ll find out if I have sway bar(s). I’ll skip the coilovers. Are the Monroe SS still available? I haven’t found them. Others say they like the KYB gas-a-just better.

·
Registered
3,631 Posts
Yes the Severe Service shocks are still available. Rock Auto carries them, Advance Auto, Amazon and many others carry them as well.

Front 550012
Rear 550013

Some prefer the KYB but I will never use anything but Monroe SS shocks.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts