Chevy Impala SS Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got my Hotchkis Springs Today from naisso superstore.

Question:
1. Which way is up on the springs? The tight wound area or the loose wound area?

2. The front springs only have isolators for the top or the bottom. Do they go on the top or bottom?

3. I normally take apart the ball joints, etc. to remove the springs. Does anyone recommend or feel removing the bolts from the control arm would be easier.

Thanks, Steve

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>1. Which way is up on the springs? The tight wound area or the loose wound area?
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Fronts : the side that ends in a flat goes up, the side that ends in a tail goes down. The lower side goes into the spring pocket so that it covers ONE, but NOT BOTH, of the little holes in the pocket (once you have the old spring out, this will make sense).

Rear : loose spaced coils down, tight spaced coils up. Be sure you index (rotate) the springs so that the top "end" of the spring pigtail is pointed directly towards the left side of the car (both sides).

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>2. The front springs only have isolators for the top or the bottom. Do they go on the top or bottom?
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>3. I normally take apart the ball joints, etc. to remove the springs. Does anyone recommend or feel removing the bolts from the control arm would be easier.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'd do it with removing the shocks and separating the balljoints. You MAY need a spring compressor to get the old springs out, and chaining the spring to the frame while removing it (so it doesn't go flying) would be a good idea.

New springs should go in without a compressor.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.