Chevy Impala SS Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a '93 Wagon with a seized 5.7L engine which was an option on it. I am looking for another one, a used one with some miles in a wrecked vehicle. Which B-body vehicles with 5.7L engines are compatible with my '93 wagon?

I already know that the '94-'96 5.7L in wagons was a LT1 engine which is not compatible if an easy swap is wanted. So I am only looking at '91 to '93 wagons. But what about sedans? Would a non-LT1 5.7L from for example '94 Caprice work in my '93 wagon? I want the easiest swap possible without any problems. Please enlighten.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
The only "completely" compatible swap is from a 91-91 B-body.

A non -LT 350 does not exist in 94 B-bodies.

The 91-93 B-bodies used a unique intake manifold and distributor.The hole in the manifold is larger than normal and the corresponding distributor has a larger diameter housing. This was done to facilitate R&R ing the distributorout from under the cowl overhang.

If you use your original intake manifold and distributor there are a huge number of choices that will work. Almost any 87-95 TBI engine will work, including truck motors. Be aware that the truck engines wil NOT have a roller cam like your original motor does. Other choices included Camaro or 'Vette L98 TPI engines from the same era. Your original intake would have to be modified to work with the 'Vettes aluminum heads.

GM offers a BRAND NEW Goodwrench motor for your car. Scoggin-Dickey is advertising it for only $1529.00. This motor comes with a long 3yr 50K mile WARRANTY. Your local dealer could only match this this price if they participate in GM parts truckload engine program, otherwise this price would be about $300.00 below his cost. I don't know what part of the south you are from, but there a many, many dealerships all over the country that do participate in the truckload progam.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Your Engine is the First GEN 5.7 which simply means you have an unlimited amount of possibilities. That engine was used from the early 70's until just a few years ago.
But if you insist on using one from a 91-93 B-body any 5.7 from those years will work.
I personally would either go strocker for an easy swap or go big block (502) if you want something for people to drool over.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Originally posted by 95dggmwgn:
If you use your original intake manifold and distributor there are a huge number of choices that will work. Almost any 87-95 TBI engine will work, including truck motors. Be aware that the truck engines wil NOT have a roller cam like your original motor does.

What does that mean?

Other choices included Camaro or 'Vette L98 TPI engines from the same era. Your original intake would have to be modified to work with the 'Vettes aluminum heads.

I see that L98 engine had more HP, in one guide it says 275 HP. I want as close to what I had because I liked the high mileage I got (between 22-24MPG).

GM offers a BRAND NEW Goodwrench motor for your car. Scoggin-Dickey is advertising it for only $1529.00. This motor comes with a long 3yr 50K mile WARRANTY.

I cannot find a used engine in a decent price range. I found one with 80,000 miles from a 95 Chevy van for $1175 and that includes 1 year parts/labor warranty. Another one 72,000 miles from a '94 Chevy pickup, for $1275 with same warranty. Not very good value. Half that price, I would get it. One from a '92 Caddy with 90,000 miles for $700. I will see if I can find an impressive deal on a used engine but I doubt it. Maybe I can make them an offer.

That Goodwrench motor might be the best deal. I talked to them on the phone today. Unlike used ones, it doesn't come with a water pump, etc. but it should be a very easy swap. And that warranty is a GM warranty nation-wide. Probably the best deal if I want to keep the car for the next 10 years.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by dogma:
Originally posted by 95dggmwgn:
If you use your original intake manifold and distributor there are a huge number of choices that will work. Almost any 87-95 TBI engine will work, including truck motors. Be aware that the truck engines wil NOT have a roller cam like your original motor does.

What does that mean?

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

It means everything is compatible except for your current intake which will still bolt right up to any of those blocks/heads - but you need to reuse your existing intake/TBI setup for everything to jive.

HTH

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hey Dogma, not sure where you are in the South, but I have a used motor for a great price. $75 if you come get it. From a '89 Suburban. It had about 150k on it. Ran great, but the owner wanted me to put a brand new Goodwrench engine in it. He didn't want the old one. It's been in my garage for about a year. Like the guys said, you need to use your intake/dist and you won't have a roller cam, but the price is right. Near Raleigh, NC.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I in VA, a few hours away. Let me think about this one. I am inclined to get something with fewer miles. But the price is right.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
OK, just let me know. Personally, I think the Goodwrench engine is your best bet if you just want a stock replacement.

Regards,
Rob

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Sorry dude, but I would have one HELL of a time passing up a good running truck 350 for $75. My cousin has a truck with over 420K on his 350 and it still starts every day. Not to mention that truck motors have stricter production standards that they have to meet for longevity and durability. Let's just say I would trust a 150k mile TRUCK 350. Coming from a forum guy would kind of help me trust it a little more. At the very least - it's a screaming deal to just plain jump on even if you do go with the brand new one.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Since I will have someone else do the install for about $600, I want to put in something with lower miles than that. If I was doing the install myself, it would certainly be an awesome deal.

I ended up getting a 5.7L engine from a 9C1 vehicle, rated for 205HP versus 180 I had. It has 100,000 on it. I got it for $400. It's the same B-body, with all the throttle and computer stuff I need. So this swap should be easy.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Make sure you get the "Y" pipe and catalytic convverter if it is a 92 or 93 9C1. This change alone is worth 15HP. Your original "Y" pipe is really more of a "T", and the 9C1s also came with a higher flow cat.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
What do you mean by "Y-pipe"?

And where is the catalytic converter located, it is hard to remove? How does getting this one will get me more HP? Do you mean 15 in addition to 205 the engine already has?

It is a 1992 Chevy Caprice with the 9C1 package, a wrecked police vehicle with 100K miles. I thought its 5.7L engine would be exactly the same as the 5.7L I had in my '93 SW but it is a bit different.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Any 1987 or newer 350 will fit in your car with no problems. Just not the lt1 style engines are not a direct fit. Just look for the center bolt valve covers and one piece rear main seal. I have a 1999 Vortec 350 in my 1991 wagon and it was a direct fit! Just had to delete the EGR valve.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
What do you mean by "Y-pipe"?

The "Y" pipe is the pipe that connects the two exhaust manifolds two the catalytic converter.

And where is the catalytic converter located, it is hard to remove? How does getting this one will get me more HP? Do you mean 15 in addition to 205 the engine already has?

The 9C1 has a highflow cat which has a larger front opening. It will not get you more the 205HP. The 9C1 has a much better flowing "Y" pipe. If you look at a civi pipe it has a very restrictive joint where the two pipes join together. The 9C1 pipe has both outlets pointing at the mouth of the cat with a much larger and smoother intersection. If you use your original pipe on the 9C1 motor you will lose 15HP.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
The 9C1 engine is identical to yours. Just the exhaust is different. If you want 205 HP you have to use the 9C1 exhaust system.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.