Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6,011 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Who knows about OBS Chevy trucks here?

My 1994 Chevy Silverado (The one with the new engine and trans.) is down right now.

I can't get the key to turn off. It's stuck in run, but will roll forward to start. I think it's a similar column as in the Impala. Also the column shift was acting weird right before this all started. (It was kind of stuck in park, then I tried the key which was stuck, then back to the shifter which worked.)

I disconnected the battery (both terminals) and she was still running, so I pulled the fuse for the fuel.

Then realized I had left the windows down. Which had the neighbors looking outside to see who was doing all the cursing.

Trying to reconnect the battery didn't work as the alternator started smoking. And you got that hot electronics smell. (so I cursed some more and unplugged everything.)

Right now she is sitting in the street with the windows down and trash bags over them.

Any ideas? I'm leaving for Oregon at 5am tomorrow morning?

·
Registered
292 Posts
I dont know about your area but around here there are several people that do steering column repair. I had a 91 and a 93 obs and had to have them come out to me on both of the pick ups. They came to my home for the 91 and to my job on the 93 they had to replace the ingnition cylinder i believe its called. Where the key goes in.

·
Premium Member
4,753 Posts
Possible something wrong with the ignition lock actuator rod. Be happy it is not stuck in the start position.

·
Registered
486 Posts
The ignition lock cylinder is probably screwed up. My mom's neighbors truck did this a few years ago, we replaced the ignition lock cylinder in it and it did the trick. With a lockplate compressor its an easy job to do.

·
Registered
10,948 Posts
IT happens with my pickup too.. The Ign cylinder is jammed..

Here is what I did to get it loose and turn it off. Leave the battery disconnected, Turn the key as far as you can foward, Bop the ign clyinder with one of your palms, Then use the fingers on the other hand to try to work the clyinder back and fourth (wiggle it at the same time).. You will eventually free it up.. Turn the key FULL foward, Try to quickly turn it to off, Bang the Clyinder in, Wiggle, Twist, It will work in time and you can turn it An option is also to soak the key in some oil before you try this.. That sometimes helps.. Funny story.. This happened to me at school maybe 2 yrs ago and people were looking at me like a nut case banging on the column like a monkey... Hey I fixed it and I got home!

Anyway.. Once that is done and its loose, Spray some dry lubricant spray or silcone spray in the cylinder and also around the steering column/cylinder area.. Cycle the key 3 times, Pull it out, More spray, Repeat 10 times untill it feels like butter.

I had this problem on my truck (Also WHITE and a 94).. I now give the ign a hit of dry lubricant every 6 months and its been good for 20,000 miles.

BTW.. I dunno about yours but my truck does not have a shift interlock.. (94 sierra) so i dunno about the park deal..

To get your windows up, Leave the FP fuse out, Attach the Red then the Neg, It should work w/o smoking anything.

The real fix is replacing the cylinder... I however just lube it up every few months and Its been fine.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts