Chevy Impala SS Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
702 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Not good... Started my car up today after installin a igination piece i needed and almost right from the start, white smoke starts commin outta the exaust! I let her run for about 10mins and the smoke didn't get better or worse. The only thing that i know of that will cause this is coolant in the engine which probally means a blown head gasket. I checked the oil dipstick and there are signs that there MIGHT be water in there but not postive so tomorrow i'm gonna change the oil to see what comes outta the pan. I still have what looks like the same level of coolant in the res but its hard to tell. So what do u guys think?? Coolant in the motor?

·
Registered
3,913 Posts
What color is the coolant? It could be a ruptured oil cooler in the radiator. Does the car run warm? If thier is coolant in the oil it will take out bearings soon enough but it will absolutely destroy the lifters in short order. Drain the oil. Leave filter on. Fill with atf, let idle for a half hour or so, drain and refill with new oil and filter. Let it sit overnight and look under the oil cap in the morning. If thier is any waxy buildup anywhere it is condensed silicone from antifreeze. But without jumping too far ahead, have you performed the throttle body coolant bypass yet? maybe corrosion got the seal in the throttle body.

Chris

·
Registered
702 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
What color is the coolant? It could be a ruptured oil cooler in the radiator. Does the car run warm? If thier is coolant in the oil it will take out bearings soon enough but it will absolutely destroy the lifters in short order. Drain the oil. Leave filter on. Fill with atf, let idle for a half hour or so, drain and refill with new oil and filter. Let it sit overnight and look under the oil cap in the morning. If thier is any waxy buildup anywhere it is condensed silicone from antifreeze. But without jumping too far ahead, have you performed the throttle body coolant bypass yet? maybe corrosion got the seal in the throttle body.

Chris
Coolant looks normal but its hard to see cause i know its stupid but i have the resivor painted black. Yes i have the TB coolant bypass done so i doubt its that. And i have a pretty new rad in the car so i doubt its the oil cooler in the rad broken, and no the car hasen't been runnin warm. I'm kinda leaning towards a intake gasket or head gasket. And thanks for the advice, and i'm not doubtin u know ur ****, but fillin the motor with atf etc dosen't seem like the best idea, but at this point guess it can't really hurt...

·
Registered
3,913 Posts
Coolant looks normal but its hard to see cause i know its stupid but i have the resivor painted black. Yes i have the TB coolant bypass done so i doubt its that. And i have a pretty new rad in the car so i doubt its the oil cooler in the rad broken, and no the car hasen't been runnin warm. I'm kinda leaning towards a intake gasket or head gasket. And thanks for the advice, and i'm not doubtin u know ur ****, but fillin the motor with atf etc dosen't seem like the best idea, but at this point guess it can't really hurt...
It is a very high detergent oil with low viscosity. Thats why I said let it idle for a while not drive it around. To flush it out and carry foreign particles away from metal components. It also, when up to temp, helps seals to swell and reseal as well as impart protective addarive to the metal in the engine that might have come in contact with coolant. It was more of a suggestion. It's really up to you how you want to attack the issue. I don't have the car in front of me to give you better information on what to help with.

Maybe borrow a cooling system pressure tester and pressurize that sucker for an hour or so when it is "cold". Then try to start it. If it won't crank, then head gasket it is. Pull plugs, crank engine. whichever one guesyer's its that one.

As a side note, there is no coolant that travels through the intake on an LT-1, but pull it anyhow, there may be more evidence of your leak in the valley anyway.

LMK

Chris

·
Registered
702 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It is a very high detergent oil with low viscosity. Thats why I said let it idle for a while not drive it around. To flush it out and carry foreign particles away from metal components. It also, when up to temp, helps seals to swell and reseal as well as impart protective addarive to the metal in the engine that might have come in contact with coolant. It was more of a suggestion. It's really up to you how you want to attack the issue. I don't have the car in front of me to give you better information on what to help with.

Maybe borrow a cooling system pressure tester and pressurize that sucker for an hour or so when it is "cold". Then try to start it. If it won't crank, then head gasket it is. Pull plugs, crank engine. whichever one guesyer's its that one.

As a side note, there is no coolant that travels through the intake on an LT-1, but pull it anyhow, there may be more evidence of your leak in the valley anyway.

LMK

Chris
Cool thanks for all the advice. Heres some more new info though, i tried a quick tip from a friend and this is what i found, he told me to take the air filter off and with the car runnin put my hand ova the MAF and see what happens, so when i did that the car stalled and "threw-up" on my hand. and what i mean by that is as it stalled it spit up a green froathy substance on my hand, which is i'm pretty sure a good sign of coolant in the motor...

·
Registered
702 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
It sounds like its settled then.

Sorry for your loss.....

Chris
LOL like how u put it, guess it can only get betta from here, the only question is do i find a stock engine/tranny put them in or sell, or do i get a stroked LT1...

·
Registered
654 Posts
LOL like how u put it, guess it can only get betta from here, the only question is do i find a stock engine/tranny put them in or sell, or do i get a stroked LT1...
lmfao!!! i have never heard it described like that...hell i been working on cars since i was 14 and never tried or even heard of doing that. i guess we learn something new each day. what why are you asking about getting a stroked lt1? whats there to ask bro?!! get that mutha!!

·
Registered
702 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
started the tear down today after work, i got the intake and all that good stuff off. Def a head gasket. I'm gonna start on the valve train and then the heads tomorrow...

·
Registered
3,913 Posts
If the area isn't real aparent, send the heads to be checked for cracks. Its not uncommon for the head to crack between the center two cylinders, as there is more heat there than on any other part of the head as it imparts heat to the cooling jacket. Defiantely borrow a "true bar" and check for warped heads and deck surfaces. Buy new head bolts.... And the relative cost for GM head gaskets vs a pricey aftermarket good set cost the GM might get the nod due to correct bore size in the gaskket. Dont forget sealer on the headbolts.

Chris

·
Registered
702 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
And since i have LT4 heads and intake I gotta tell the parts guy gaskets for a 96 Grand sport Vette right?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts