Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Look at my baby got in an accident today need to see who can fix her back up for me it did turn on picture in post below

·
Premium Member
1,505 Posts
Entire front clip, radiator and support, & air bags. PLUS???? My first thought was Queen's "Another One Bites the Dust". With the past admin's rush to rid the world of gas hogs (anything not electric) by the great car crushing. Parts are near non existent. I doubt your insurance is going to fix it. I do wish I were wrong but I don't think so on this one. I hope you're ok. Time for a moment of silence.

Mark: Snowman-33

·
Registered
2,900 Posts
Hi, glad to see you are okay. Sorry for your loss.
Yeah Ins. will total that one. Hopefully you are covered and they right you a nice check.

Never take first offer.
Do your homework and see what the car is worth based on miles and prices in your part of the country. Also make sure they realize Caprice with Impala SS option is worth more than one without. Maybe you lucky and REG/Ins card say SS and not Caprice on them ?

-ALF out....

·
Registered
946 Posts
If you can find a friend to do the work as a side job or whatever, you could definitely save the car. That is, assuming the frame is okay.

Parts for these cars are NOT difficult to find, at least in my experience. I have had a hood for sale for months now and I am only asking $40. Vautsmeier is right down the street from me, and he has an entire commercial building full of SS parts. The parts that you need to fix that front clip are a dime a dozen. The issue will be the amount of labor involved.

Insurance will total it, but you can always use their check to fix the car anyway. With that said, I'm wondering about your insurance situation. The fact that you are ready to get the car fixed only hours after the accident seems a little fishy to me. This makes me think you don't plan to have insurance look at the car.

·
Registered
7,828 Posts
Dam straight advice up there. It's pretty simple to run both KBB and NADA to find near scale of current market based on your particular car's stats and condition. Based on your condition and mileage you'll either be discouraged or hopefully pleased with the figure. That way you can at least anticipate the number the insurance is hoping to settle below. LOL IDK how your state runs, but IF the wreck's not chargeable to you, and IF you have C&C, and IF you retain all communications and dealings with just YOUR carrier, THEN you're in much better position to come out whole on the unfortunate experience.

Sorry, but you've already suffered loss to your car, you don't have to suffer a second time financially. I hope some of the accounting below can be translated to your situation. For reference, my son got reared in mine long enough ago that KBB valued it at $18k. Despite that, my carrier "initially" offered to total it out at $8k and the little pencilhead thought they were doing me a favor. Of course I escalated to the next rung of mid mngt. and the next no. was 10. The 'best and final' based on my printout was 12. I said I'll take the 18 that it's really worth to total it, or, you can just fix it!

Everything with new frame came to $12k+. They were gonna pay $2,500 for the tranny that went out right after all that, but I wanted only $1,000 to buy all the neat parts to redo it myself.
I may be preaching to the pulpit if you have experience with this ghit, but:
-It's not your insurance's (and by gawd definitely not the other insured's) job to do YOUR homework in rounding up the most favorable value of your damage; it's your job.
-Unless you've got only liability then under no circumstances EVER communicate directly with the other insured's carrier, only through yours.
-As mentioned document and substantiate your loss with FS and sold comps, guide values, anything you can print and send in to back yourself up

-Stay calm, calmly steer back to facts when (constantly) being distracted by gibberish to get you to agree to lessened settlement
-There's too many carriers out there who'll look at your rustbucket fully depreciated lo-brow 25-year old non-hybrid POS '4-dor Caprice' and offer $600 total to you. You get the picture. Set a number you can go to the mat with, and get the number of your state's insurance commission if things sound outright hinky.

The damage looks repairable with just a bunch of JY parts as mentioned, plus strategic new susp. brake steering pieces, a little frame straightener and paint. You could even find someone willing to 'part out' a complete car for way less than the insurance repair guide is showing for all the separate parts. But guys who know the car are probably the only ones who'll think that way.

I wouldn't be getting it towed anywhere at all until you can get clear agreed picture on settlement. Good luck, and report back imminent victory at a later date. ;)

EDIT: Overpost - and yah Caddy- we're thinking the same on that towing it right away = not so good idea on several fronts. Whatever shop gets it without clear competitive agreement is gonna cutta fat hog eh.

·
Registered
946 Posts
EDIT: Overpost - and yah Caddy- we're thinking the same on that towing it right away = not so good idea on several fronts.
After thinking about it, I guess it's possible that this was a single-car accident and that OP only has liability. In that case, I suppose there really isn't much of an insurance situation to deal with.

·
Registered
7,828 Posts
In all fairness the request IS only for a good shop. But, the scene and damage appear likely multi-car, not a perfectly flush surface impact or phone pole. Fella without abundant experience with wrecks could get a touch frazzled, so was just offering a little more insight v. less. And good idea on help from a privateer if it's all on his nickel.

From just the pics with no background it sure don't seem the kinda ride to carry just liability. Let's see what shakes out.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I only had liability but I swear Allstate told me because it’s too old they couldn’t do full coverage ! Or else I wouldof had full and other person turned left I was in far right lane . I hit them right quarter panel . And yes unfortunately the police arrived and they towed to yard and going off they’re guna charge for the days their in thinking I need to get it out of there ASAP regardless of what other person insurance says . It wasn’t th hardest of hits but u know I’m sure someone can fix just need to know who .

·
Registered
7,828 Posts
Important thing errbody ok. Can't tell from description who's considered at fault, though your remark about the other insurance makes me hope it's their fault. But about that ins. co., you need a diff. one. My 4 cars are between 17 and 32 years old - and all got full coverage.

If it's on you, does buying a rolling donor and swapping over the front clip in your driveway sound plausible? If so, then the only mole left to wack is checking if the frame got tweaked. If it's on them, then lordie be you're gonna have fun learning the dental trade getting shop repairs paid. #well you have to admit you were "a little" at fault too #pre-existing damage #regular wear and tear #our insured does not have rental car coverage for you ......lol

·
Registered
946 Posts
But, the scene and damage appear likely multi-car.
Oh ****... I totally missed the picture where you can clearly see another damaged vehicle. My bad.

As far as full coverage... I know from experience that companies can be a bit ridiculous at times. I was once quoted $360 a month for full coverage on a car that I paid $3800 for. At that price, I would absolutely have to total the car for it to be worth it. Of course, I was 22 years old and didn't have the best driving record at the time, so that certainly was a factor.

·
Registered
8,459 Posts
frame very likely bent, air bags gone, 20+ year old car....its a total in the eyes of insurance company

OP, if the other driver is insured and he is at fault your insurance company will likely collect max value as can be determined from the at fault drivers insurance company which is likely not enough to repair it. Your recourse could need to be a lawsuit which will take several months if not a year or so.....if you have "injuries".

Do not talk to anyone from the at fault drivers insurance company. Your insurance company will be the one to communicate with but if you feel you are not being treated fairly, get a lawyer and let him deal with this but they will get a 1/3 of the settlement if not going to trial and likely 50%+ if it goes to trial. The later would be if you suffered injuries

·
Registered
7,828 Posts
The OP's mentioned he has liab. only, and IDK CA but around here with that you're SOL and your own carrier pretty much warshes their hands of you, and doomed to work with the other insured's carrier. If it ain't just a cheap claptrap you're glad to get out from under and worth fighting to fix or get a decent settlement, then brace yourself for a tussle with them. I'm not some SME on insurance, but my initial comments up there sounding more applicable as time goes by. I agree 1000% not getting legal representation. Unless mucho injuries there ain't no gold to mine from hat old Chevy. #State Ins. Commission ::winks::

One last gambit if no satisfactory settlement is to simply demand to be "made whole" by them securing a "like condition" replacement car that's acceptable to you.

And as just an armchair qtr. back I'll offer that I refused a frame machine and made my insurance allow me to deliver another unmolested frame with my rear-ender. I'm sure a straightener is fine and all, but a documented square replacement was important for me, plus a factor if a sale someday. For yours if the frame is bent then you'll have to decide whether to accept a machine or start combing JYs.

Let's see what up as things progress.

·
Registered
10,907 Posts
I recently had my OCC sideswiped. It destroyed the entire left side of the car's sheet metal. The insurance wanted to give me $2500 for the car and total it. The car has a $10,000 engine in it with a new transmission. I brought that to their attention, and they asked if I had receipts. I said no, but I would get an appraisal for the current value before the accident. The insurance company came up with the $2500, and $3000 in "medical", and did not total the car. I was in need of a paint job at the time, and the check fixed the metal work. I ended up paying for the paint job myself anyway, but I now have a completely rebuilt driver's side, and all of my improvements. Since you probably did not have any physical injuries, you can still get a "medical" claim for emotional damage to offset some of the physical damage to the car. Be careful what you say to the insurance rep, and if they are not being helpful, always end the conversation with, "I guess I will have to see my lawyer". Another caution on seeing lawyers...they will promise you the moon, and try to get you to take what the insurance company offers. You will get that minus the lawyer's percentage. The lawyer gets most of your money, and you get a wrecked car.

·
Registered
10,907 Posts
One more thing. If you had trouble opening the front doors, you will need front doors as well. The front fenders pushed back, and trapped the doors. When you opened them, the front of the door got wrinkled.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts