4,073 Posts
I have.

·
Registered
4,073 Posts

·
Registered
4,073 Posts
On a related topic, here are a couple of pics of my rear disc brake conversion.

Old setup

Refurbing the old backing plates with a set of Navy Lifer E-Brake boots

Axles pulled

Impala SS Stainless lines from Classic Tube. Don't bother with the stock ones, order these!

The finished product, using Summit Racing rotors

·
Registered
826 Posts
My brother and I both did it. Its not difficult. Therfe should be plenty of info on what to do here already. Just search for it. From what I recall, you ave to take out the axle shafts, take off the drum brake hardware and backing plates, replace the brake lines with either home-made lines or lines for 94-96 impala from classic tube, and the reinstall everything for the disc brakes and reinstall axles. I'm sure someone else will chime in too.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
how much for the ss lines ? i am going to do the swap soon i am just going to swap the rear because i am doing the control arms to .the gears that are in the car now are 293 and the ones i am puting in are 323 hope it works out thanks:D

·
Registered
4,073 Posts
I can't remember what the lines cost, but also remember that you need emergency brake cables too!

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
thanks got the cable haveing a hard time makeing the hard brake lines from autozone .you think the lines from AZ are any good got 3/16 lines thanks

·
Registered
4,073 Posts
thanks got the cable haveing a hard time makeing the hard brake lines from autozone .you think the lines from AZ are any good got 3/16 lines thanks
Any line should be fine, the reason I mentioned the Classc Tube ones was because many have had success with them. The main point I wanted to make was that trying to reuse the stock lines from the donor car is a major pain, that will likely end in frustration.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Whats a used disc brake rear end worth? I know where one is and I was thinking about buying it. It's supposed to have a posi in it.

·
Premium Member
6,397 Posts
The axle hard line plumbing for rear disc works like this:

From the top of the differential, at the hose connection from the frame, the thread on the center fittings is 3/16 inverted flare--standard stuff.

At the outer end of each line, where it connects to the caliper hose, the fitting thread is an M10 x 1.0 ISO bubble (European) flare.

If you use the lines obtained from AZ, you will need to cut the line to proper length once you've got it shaped correctly, then get the metric fittings and create the proper flare for the outer connections. Actually, you may have to do the cut & flare and THEN bend the line to final shape.

The better way might be to find M10x1.0 ISO bubble straight lines (they are available) and work from the caliper hose connection back to the center--then create the inverted flare 3/16" connections for the center T-block using conventional flaring tools and finish bending the lines to fit at that point.

Unless it's a total bust financially, the Classic Tube lines are the way to go, just as Lance and others suggest. About $45 in stainless, with gravel guard....well worth it.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts