Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 118 Posts

·
Registered
737 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got a 12.7:1 box in my Caprice wagon. It was rebuilt by Lee Manufacturing 25-30K miles ago, back in ~'13. (Of course I can't find the receipt to be sure.) It's developed on-center slop. I've adjusted the little nut on top of the box a couple times. Each time it gets better, for a while, but then it becomes sloppy again in short order. And now it's to the point where the nut doesn't turn easily, and I don't want to force it.

I called up Lee Manufacturing (which changed ownership several years back, after my box had been rebuilt), and the guy I spoke to said that they normally charge $350 to rebuilt a steering box, but if mine had so few miles since its last rebuild, it would probably be cheaper. He said that they are pretty backed up and that it would likely take 1-2 weeks for them to get my box done, so I'd be without my wagon for a bit.

Should I have my box rebuilt by the new staff at Lee, or go somewhere else?

·
Registered
7,986 Posts
if it were me and based on that Rebuild Cost, I would consider buying a new 9C1 (Close ratio) unit from Advance or AZ or Other. When I swapped to a CR box, I just got 1 at Advance and with their BIG35 discount got it for less than $100. Still on the car and still working well.

Does Lee offer any kind of warranty on their rebuilds? I would suspect that even without a receipt, they have some marking or something internal that they could see if they serviced it or not. Good luck with wahtever you do but $350 to rebuild just sounds like a lot.

·
Registered
6,798 Posts
Not aware there is somewhere else. An Impala steering box sold on here recently for $40. Having a second box (I recently scored one) provides a lot of options. Swap it out,and maybe happy going no further. Send the other back to Lee to be fixed. Many forum members have confidence in them.

·
Registered
3,634 Posts
if it were me and based on that Rebuild Cost, I would consider buying a new 9C1 (Close ratio) unit from Advance or AZ or Other. When I swapped to a CR box, I just got 1 at Advance and with their BIG35 discount got it for less than $100. Still on the car and still working well.

Does Lee offer any kind of warranty on their rebuilds? I would suspect that even without a receipt, they have some marking or something internal that they could see if they serviced it or not. Good luck with wahtever you do but $350 to rebuild just sounds like a lot.
Which one did you get?

The only one I see at Autozone is 200 bucks and all the listed Advance ones are 3.5 turn boxes.

·
Registered
8,481 Posts
The 2.5 turn box at AZ is $190...but you will need to return your core box or pay another $180.

I assume all part stores will have rebuilds only

Never used Lee although Navy Lifer had strong reviews for them "before" ownership changed after they closed and IIRC felt that they had the same level of repair with the new team.

I would not be surprised if they did not honor the previous owners warranty assuming there was one and/or whatever that warranty length may have been

Turn One is the only other facility I am aware of but have no knowledge of their work or $.

IDK if the chain auto part store ones are reman offshore or not. It took 3 PS pumps from AZ to get one that worked for me FWIW....

RockAuto typically has the better $ on parts....not seeing a box listed for the Impala, just rebuild "kit"

·
Registered
976 Posts
If you choose the reman. buy it locally! I would not want to deal with return shipping/core etc. and if you get a crap one same deal.

I have had many bad remans right outta the box Cardone seems to be the worst.
Last round it took 3 before got a nice tight box, first leaked badly, 2nd was sloppy and sluggish (seriously doubt it was quick ratio).
Similar again a few years before that, but 2nd box was ok.
Buying reman. steering parts these days is a roll of the dice!

·
Registered
737 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
2003 S10 with sport suspension package/zq8 gearbox will work.

That’s news to me. How many turns lock to lock? What ratio? Bolt-In replacement?

·
Registered
7,986 Posts
Which one did you get?

The only one I see at Autozone is 200 bucks and all the listed Advance ones are 3.5 turn boxes.
Cant remember the brand they carried then but just ordered what was offered for the Police Caprice. It was about $130 and I had $35 off coupon. Just exchanged my original Stock ratio box for the core charge.

2003 S10 with sport suspension package/zq8 gearbox will work.
That's interesting. Like someone else asked, was it a direct fit and the Hose locations were also the same along with Rag Joint hookup and Pitman Arm? Did you install 1 in a BBody or know someone that did? Thx

·
Registered
232 Posts
It's just under 3 turns and a direct bolt on. If you go to rock auto, 2003 s10, steering gear, click on a few of the part numbers- F body, Fleetwood, B body, etc... used the same type Saginaw box.

·
Premium Member
1,586 Posts
I wonder why GM did this. I just checked RA and searched for the 2003 S10 and a 1996 Caprice 9C1. The chart that's posted for both ACDelcos show identical specs but different part numbers and a different cost. Old Coot says they are direct bolt on. I have no reason to doubt that but it's one of those questions in life. Sort of like "Why is there air?" (Bill Cosby)

Mark: Snowman-33

·
Registered
6,798 Posts
Actual correct boxes are difficult to source,and have been for some time. Taking one off an actual car that came equipped with one is probably the easiest. That is what I did. Many,if not most Saginaw boxes look very similar. The internals can be quite different. The 808 has a bigger end than the 800 by about a half inch (for example)...

·
Registered
737 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

·
Registered
8,481 Posts
This probably falls under the category of "takes specialized tools and knowledge to accomplish", but what about rebuilding the existing box myself? Autozone has a rebuild kit. https://www.autozone.com/suspension-steering-tire-and-wheel/power-steering-gear-kit/duralast-power-steering-gear-kit/24437_0_12266
Yep but I suspect Google will bring up a "how to" video. Snap ring pliers at a minimum would likely be needed.

On a much simpler part, alternator, I bought new bearings for under $20 and a $2 brush kit to fix a otherwise working but squeaking alternator. I had no problem disassembling the Alt but realized the rear bearing needed to be pressed in/out (it was the bearing making noise). I don't have a press.....so in that case the $22 fix was a no go unless I took the bearing and case to a shop to have them press it in.

As mentioned there are likely several Saganaw boxes that "bolt" in but internals (valving??), size of components, etc may be different between the various box part #'s that themselves have the same size/bolt pattern casting.

I have never torn a steering box apart but if you roll your own on this, post up a "how to".

·
Registered
2,327 Posts
did you try Turn One? Years ago when I contacted them for a box I believe they said they could rebuild my current box for $150. I opted to buy one of the later 600 series boxes from them instead at their recommendation. Car hasn't run in 12 years so can't comment on how it feels LOL I probably wouldn't remember what the stock box felt like anyway to compare.

·
Registered
6,798 Posts
Steering boxes don't really lend themselves to DIY in my opinion. Especially if one has absolutely no idea what they're doing.

·
Registered
737 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
did you try Turn One? Years ago when I contacted them for a box I believe they said they could rebuild my current box for $150. I opted to buy one of the later 600 series boxes from them instead at their recommendation. Car hasn't run in 12 years so can't comment on how it feels LOL I probably wouldn't remember what the stock box felt like anyway to compare.
I Googled and found Turn One. Its rebuild service starts at $300 and has a 1-2 week turnaround. https://www.turnone-steering.com/pages/rebuilding-services

The brand new boxes are eye-bleedingly expensive! https://www.turnone-steering.com/collections/power-steering-gears

I will likely give them a call for more info.

What I might end up doing is buying one of the Autozone lifetime warranty 2.5-turn boxes (if you guys think that has at least a modest chance of feeling and being good) and, if it sucks, then leave it in my car while I send out my Impala SS box for a rebuild. https://www.autozone.com/suspension-steering-tire-and-wheel/steering-gear-power-steering/endurance-steering-gear-power-steering/260881_0_6207_2374

I might also give Endurance a call and see if I get a warm fuzzy feeling about their quality of their rebuilds from talking to them. http://endurancereman.com/

·
Registered
6,798 Posts
Why not get one from a salvage yard,or a part-out that you know is the right one? Rather than buying more "lifetime" garbage....

·
Registered
737 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Why not get one from a salvage yard,or a part-out that you know is the right one? Rather than buying more "lifetime" garbage....
My existing box is an Impala SS take-off that, IIRC, came from Fred Kiehl. If I was to get a salvage or part-out steering box, I would want to have it rebuilt before installing it, and if I was going to have a box rebuilt, I might as well have the one I already have rebuilt.

So my choices are:
--rebuild existing box
--buy new / reman lifetime warranty box locally

I agree that the parts store stuff is probably crap, but a few guys seemed to balk at the idea of spending tree fiddy on having a box rebuilt.

1 - 20 of 118 Posts