Chevy Impala SS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 97 Posts

· Premium Member
363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
who has their daily up in the 200k club? mines at 152k and still runs quiet and strong. and i like to keep it,though the more miles the less value, i still actually like my car and get compliments. but i dont know. i guess it is better than car payments compared to gas. so who has 200k and what do you do to keep it goin strong?

· Registered
136 Posts
Getting there, I'm at around 180 something K. It had 166K when I got it, and I don't know the history of the mechanicals.

I'm changing the motor, but the one going in has a few more miles. On the flipside, its not as wore out either. The motor I took out of the car ran great, but had so much blow-by that it would blow the PCV valve out of the grommet and/or the dipstick out of the tube.

· Registered
290 Posts
My 95 BBB has 187K never been opened, just consistent oil changes
I think it just has a will to live cause I pretty much neglect it
Out of respect for the mileage I dont hit the floor with the gas anymore but it will spin on command

· Premium Member
363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
My 94 RMS lasted up to 260K, until I recently did a smokey burnout one night and spun a bearing :(
The 95 only made it to 145K and died the same way (minus the burnout).
then what did you do? keep it and invest in another motor or just part from it with whats left?

· Premium Member
363 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Im at 187k as a daily..
im sure you use synthetic like most of us. obviously you still like driving yours because you have high miles and still drive it. but in everybody elses opinion other than mine, would it be worth doing another engine, or selling it with a blown motor. or selling before it got that way?

i have basic mods and kind of want to even paint it again, but i hate to spend 2 grand on a paint that wont bring me value back, just like another motor

· Registered
1,824 Posts
Low milage is over rated. I would rather have a high milage car, that I has been taken care of, vs a low milage car that is just entering the area of needing things replaced, like the front suspension trans, tune ups... etc. If you don't plan on selling the car anytime soon, then who cares what the milage is? Heck, I just payed over $5,000 for a 180,000 mile Roadmaster that was modded how I liked.

My 96 Caprice 9C1 has 180k on it, and the thing has never has synthetic. It also, has never been driven easy. Has been cammed, which is harder on the motor... I mean, the thing is still kicking.

If it was me, I would pull a low mialge motor, and drop it in there if the car is in good enough shape to be worth putting the effort into. Like this Roadmaster I just bought. 180k, and I fried a Ring. I wouldn't dream of selling it, or anything like that. It gets a new motor here soon. 180k engine from the 96 9C1. I have faith it will keep going. There is a 96 Caprice 9C1 in the area with 285k on it. My dad drove it when it was at the police department until about 240k. He used to drive it hard everyday he drove it. 120mph down the highway for about 30 miles each way was common. If they were not asking so much for it, I would buy it, just to see how long it went for.

Like I said, low milage isn't everything. Look at my other Roadmaster. Bought it with about 83,000 miles on it. Put about 3,000 miles on it, and the trans blew a front seal, the motor spun a rod bearing(found out the intake gasket was WAY past shot, and it likely was going very lean), the front suspension needs to be rebuilt, the door panels are cracked, and the front seats have a few tears on the sides. I'm still happy with the car, since rust free is so hard to find around here. But my point is that was it a better car than the higher milage ones I have had? From a mechanical stand point, no. Was it considered worth more? Maybe. But I still only paid $2,000 for it.

Just some info to chew on, to help you think about the big picture. :)

1 - 20 of 97 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.