Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
why do you all use a 6.5 speaker in the front door. I am not a radio expert by no means to let yall know. my question is can a 6x9 fit with that adapter plate???
thanks

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Originally posted by GrapeApe:
why do you all use a 6.5 speaker in the front door. I am not a radio expert by no means to let yall know. my question is can a 6x9 fit with that adapter plate???
thanks
A good 6 1/2 will out play most 6x9's all day because of the design and being round instead of oval I think. Plus, most componet sets are not sold in a 6x9 design... I guess, I dunno!

I ran 5x7's in my door with a mounting plate but later upgraded to 6 1/2's. The diffrence is night and day, the midrange seems to play much more crisp. 6X9's would fit in the door but your gonna have to do some cutting no doubt.
HTH

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
well if 6.5 s are better than 6x9. wats good to put in the rear ??? TIA :confused:

U

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
6.5's are generally reccomended over oval speakers with more cone area due to the fact that the oval speakers WILL DISTORT sooner, strictly because of their irregular shape. For most people that probably won't make a huge differance, but if you are anal retentive about getting the best sound, I'd steer away from oval speakers. For the average joe 6X9's will be fine, for me, they are unthinkable... but I'm by no means normal.

Also another reason that 6.5's are reccomended over 6X9 is, as stated earlier, not many component sets are offered with 6X9 mids...

C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Nice try. I have polk 5x7's in my door. They work great! Just like anything else, don't buy cheap speakers and expect them to perform. I purchased mines on Ebay anyhow. I like two way speakers better then three way, however. Now I still think that if you like good imaging, you can find a good set of components that will let u position your tweeters in the pillars higher up on the door to give you a great center of surround sound.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
its more "filling" also. replaced my infinity kappa front 4x6 with 6 1/2 and yes it was more full filling...night and day like jayoss

1 - 6 of 6 Posts