Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,496 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was under the impression that paid members would not get hit with spam advertising but yet every time I change pages I keep getting hit with a huge spam from Amazon and it is getting QUITE annoying to the point where I am ready to log out and leave for a while! Can this PLEASE be addressed and STOPPED!

mike--94MSP9C1

·
Registered
8,049 Posts
Bezos' Minions Ratted You Out -

- You know he be keeping a list of anyone don't like him.

Seriously, I'm getting the same for the first time. Holding up my valiant fortitude to resist 'Priming something' (ok doesn't take much to resist) is almost worth the nuisance of clicking the little x (well almost anyway) It'll all be history in another day.

Bright side: some pretty good prices by other stores right now on things I am looking for.....

·
Premium Member
1,496 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
- You know he be keeping a list of anyone don't like him.

Seriously, I'm getting the same for the first time. Holding up my valiant fortitude to resist 'Priming something' (ok doesn't take much to resist) is almost worth the nuisance of clicking the little x (well almost anyway) It'll all be history in another day.

Bright side: some pretty good prices by other stores right now on things I am looking for.....

I have NEVER in my life purchased ANYTHING from Amazon and I do not plan on starting either. To me they rate right up there with the waste of time Facebook spies who sell ALL your personal information. NEVER been on Facebook either.

Mike--94MSP9C1

·
Premium Member
1,496 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Memberships reduce the numbers of ads but not completely. This overlay is a campaign which will end tonight when the timer runs out.

- JB

Not to be disrespectful but this kind of spam is likely to push people away and have the opposite affect that Amazon is looking for. Just my personal opinion but if it were to happen all the time I would probably leave and not return. It keeps the forum from being enjoyable.

Mike--94MSP9C1

·
Registered
2,388 Posts
I have NEVER in my life purchased ANYTHING from Amazon and I do not plan on starting either. To me they rate right up there with the waste of time Facebook spies who sell ALL your personal information. NEVER been on Facebook either.
You should know that every website you visit is either directly recording what you look at, allowing a 3rd party to record what you look at, or both. This information is then used to track your history, which in turn is used to develop a profile across websites and over time that can be sold (or purchased) for marketing purposes.

By simply being on the internet you're being "spied" upon.

Same goes for using a credit card, watching satellite or cable TV, etc.

·
Registered
8,049 Posts
Orweilian Much?

You should know ...... By simply being on the internet you're being "spied" upon.Same goes for using a credit card, watching satellite or cable TV, etc.
Driving down any street over 40k population, walking into da Waterway, any hair-do place, tha gubmint office, any freakin' Russian road with a link to You-Tube.....?

Cams be everywhere eh.Those X-ers or Millennamals not willing to grok the past destined to be subjugated by it. In the future.

·
Premium Member
1,496 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
You should know that every website you visit is either directly recording what you look at, allowing a 3rd party to record what you look at, or both. This information is then used to track your history, which in turn is used to develop a profile across websites and over time that can be sold (or purchased) for marketing purposes.

By simply being on the internet you're being "spied" upon.

Same goes for using a credit card, watching satellite or cable TV, etc.

I am well aware of all that however does that somehow make it more enjoyable to get hit with Spam? I think not.

Mike--94MSP9C1

·
Registered
209 Posts
x

Mike--94MSP9C1
I buy everthing for Amazon,I save so much money its hard to believe, Thousands of dollars...I just bought a central AC and heater, I saved over $600 in one sale Oldhead

·
Registered
486 Posts
Adblock plus is a good start, but there's a lot more you need to do to truly stop ads and remain anonymous on the internet, up to and including VPNs. You also need to manage/block cookies and LSOs. And if you're not computer savvy, you're kind of SOL. I'll admit to drinking the facebook kool-aid a little bit, but even they can be thwarted to a point. Main thing is, the less personal info you put on there, the less they can know about you. There's also a great tool called facebook purity, helps make it more tolerable.

·
Registered
2,388 Posts
I am well aware of all that however does that somehow make it more enjoyable to get hit with Spam? I think not.
That wasn't my point. My reply to your post was addressing your comment regarding Facebook selling "private" information (that anyone who uses Facebook or the like consented to being shared). If you're paranoid about what Facebook shares/sells, you should also be paranoid about what Google - and others - know about you from your search and web histories.

·
Premium Member
1,496 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
That wasn't my point. My reply to your post was addressing your comment regarding Facebook selling "private" information (that anyone who uses Facebook or the like consented to being shared). If you're paranoid about what Facebook shares/sells, you should also be paranoid about what Google - and others - know about you from your search and web histories.

I am NOT paranoid! I simply am old school and have NO interest in Amazon, Facebook, My Space, Texting while Driving, Video games on the phone or anything like these things. There is way too much in life to enjoy and these things do not interest me in the least. Nothing more nor nothing less!

Mike--94MSP9C1

·
Registered
8,049 Posts
Haha Mike, This thread sorta outlived its usefulness after the latest Prime Day, but getting its second wind as an equally valuable rant on a similar theme. Us 'ancients' is truly no longer of this world, but hey as long as a new shiny object passes my smell and silly tests I'm in to give it a whirl. Mind you I keep a pocket auto at ready to dispatch anything if the contrivance needle rises to 1.

Amazon actually paid off in spades just today. I found comparable mattresses - at lower prices - and free shipping - and faster delivery --- all instead of putting up with the nearly illegal shenanigans of the well-known major retailers. I didn't actually buy from Amazon, but found a review referring to another website that led to a damn fine comparative review and eventually the name of the actual manufacturer of the brand that I decided on.

So, bottomline I just ordered directly from the manufacturer, - $160 less than Amazon and $650-750 less than the local slimy showroom.

Amazon is great for canvassing the market of alternate products, and obviously the convenience when deciding to purchase.

Now to your point. All that comes with a cost. I went back and found EVERY purchase I've made since 2010! Nice for record-keeping and reference. And mighty damm fine free intel for Amazon and anyone else they sell that history to.

I figure I'm already ahead though. I'm gonna just hack my wife's account and see all the stuff she's been getting for the grandkids. I can use it next time she dares give me grief about my car stuff. lol

·
Premium Member
2,539 Posts
Adblock plus is a good start, but there's a lot more you need to do to truly stop ads and remain anonymous on the internet, up to and including VPNs. There's also a great tool called facebook purity, helps make it more tolerable.
Okay, since the topic came up...VPNs. I've got an account but I've only used it on a handful of occasions where I've downloaded torrents. I had to do that with my previous ISP, and not my current, so I don't really use it.

-Do you do all your browsing thru the VPN, or just certain websites or browsers?

There's also a great tool called facebook purity, helps make it more tolerable.
I've never used it, but will look into it tonight when I get home. I rarely use FB, but on the rare occasion I do, I'll make sure the browser has this add-on, as well as run behind the VPN; right?

Thanx for me & other guys I'm sure.

·
Administrator
448 Posts
those ads should be gone by now. It was a coding error in the overlay ad that was suppose to go away once it recognizes your decision... which it didn't.

Lee

·
Premium Member
1,496 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
those ads should be gone by now. It was a coding error in the overlay ad that was suppose to go away once it recognizes your decision... which it didn't.

Lee

Thank You!

Now can you tell me how to fix the popup on the bottom of the screen that I have to click to see the non-secure stuff like attached pictures every time I switch pages or threads?

Mike--94MSP9C1

·
Administrator
448 Posts
Thank You!

Now can you tell me how to fix the popup on the bottom of the screen that I have to click to see the non-secure stuff like attached pictures every time I switch pages or threads?

Mike--94MSP9C1
Unfortunately, this is an internet explorer issue only. It has to do with the security protocols they use and the site being https. I'm not sure if there's a way to fully remove it.

Niall

·
Registered
486 Posts
Okay, since the topic came up...VPNs. I've got an account but I've only used it on a handful of occasions where I've downloaded torrents. I had to do that with my previous ISP, and not my current, so I don't really use it.

-Do you do all your browsing thru the VPN, or just certain websites or browsers?

I've never used it, but will look into it tonight when I get home. I rarely use FB, but on the rare occasion I do, I'll make sure the browser has this add-on, as well as run behind the VPN; right?

Thanx for me & other guys I'm sure.

As far as the VPN, it depends. The one I use is also compatible with android and I think iphone, so I generally let that run all the time on my phone. I mainly do that since I'm just young enough that although I held out for roughly a decade, I finally got into the whole "smart" phone thing and although the speeds are somewhat of a turd, I have the cheap Sprint "truly" unlimited 4g data and I consistently gobble up dozens if not hundreds of gigs of data a month.

As far as computers go, it depends, but mostly I do use it because I use an app called pdanet to share my phone's internet connection to computers and tablets when needed so that I don't have to pay for a separate house internet plan. Since I'm getting my internet from my phone, which always has the VPN turned on, I'm pretty much always on a VPN. The nice thing with that is even when I'm on someone else's wifi, it still runs through the VPN. My local cable provider is finally almost getting to where I'd sign up as far as price and speed are concerned, but still not quite and I'm poor and a cheap sob. DSL isn't an option unless you want to pay more than the cable internet price, for about 3% of the cable internet speed. I live in a dumb town.

The facebook thing is a little wonky to figure out, but I love it. You have to go directly to their website to add it to your browser. You'd be surprised the amount of control you have over stuff though, including getting rid of all advertising, even posts in your newsfeed if you want.
https://www.fbpurity.com/

1 - 20 of 23 Posts