Chevy Impala SS Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Why build an lt1 when performace parts are in short supply?You could build a really kick ass 406, or even a 427 small block that would run forever and put you into the 11's, all day on motor, and you could drive it anywhere.

I had a bull**** 406 in my chevelle (3814rw). it has a stock crank and rods, JE pistons, 11.5:1 comp, a set of track 1 heads, and a decent hydralic roller cam. With a 3,000 stall a 2004-r and 3.90's it would go 11.5's @ 119 right of the street, on a set of 295/50/15 McCreary's.
If i bumped the timing, and played with the carb, it would turn a best of 11.2 @ 122.
and i drove it EVERYDAY, as it was my ONLY car.

So why doesn't someone just build a regular old school kick ass small block?
And why has nobody backhalved their cars to get some 33x15's under it?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Originally posted by eric9c1caprice:
Why build an lt1 when performace parts are in short supply?You could build a really kick ass 406, or even a 427 small block that would run forever and put you into the 11's, all day on motor, and you could drive it anywhere....
You can do that with an LT1....

KW

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Originally posted by KW Baraka:
</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by eric9c1caprice:
Why build an lt1 when performace parts are in short supply?You could build a really kick ass 406, or even a 427 small block that would run forever and put you into the 11's, all day on motor, and you could drive it anywhere....
You can do that with an LT1....

KW
</font>[/QUOTE]You could build an ALL MOTOR lt1, that would put you into the 11's that you could drive EVERYDAY?

How many ALL MOTOR B-bodies are out there that runn 11's?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Not more than a couple....but then I bet that your Chevelle didn't weigh 4400 LB either or that your engine ran anywhere near as clean as a FI set-up or had anywhere near the emission control systems that newer engines had or....blah, blah, blah....

That said....you can build a large displacement LT1....and I've never heard of any shortage of parts either

Also, a stock crank for your 406 (3.75") = a stroker crank for a LT1.

KW

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
If your Chevelle was 4200lb I don't think 11's would be so easy.
There are probably hundreds of 11 second all motor LT1 Fbody cars, (streetable too).

But deeper into the question as to why LT1? Mainly I think it's because of federal emissions. Only a tiny few are bold enough to put a non-emissions legal engine into their street car, (big blocks, old school small blocks). One engine that will kick all butt and certainly kick all old school butt and is 100% emissions legal is the LS1 That is one awesome small block. Put one of those in the heavy B-body and mod for mod compared to old school and LT1 it will annihilate the competition.

Karl

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Originally posted by KW Baraka:
Not more than a couple....but then I bet that your Chevelle didn't weigh 4400 LB either or that your engine ran anywhere near as clean as a FI set-up or had anywhere near the emission control systems that newer engines had or....blah, blah, blah....

That said....you can build a large displacement LT1....and I've never heard of any shortage of parts either

KW
well you do have a pont, but with the OD MY CHEVELLE DID GET THE SAME MILAGE I'M GETTING NOW WITH THE 9C1! ( DAMN CAPS AGAIN, SORRY)

And by short suppl of parts, i mean this: no aftermarket lt1 blocks, not alot of head choices, intake manifold choices, etc. sure the stock stuff will work, but there is a certain pride with coming up with a combonation in your head, and having it work well.
I'd still like to se an all motor 427 or 472 small block in an impy, with a ladderbar suspension and full weight blaze through the 1/4. Nothing like a cam with alot of overlap to let people's eye's know you mean business :D

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
You could build an ALL MOTOR lt1, that would put you into the 11's that you could drive EVERYDAY?
You could build an 11 second, daily driven naturally aspirated LT1 B-Body just as much as you could build one that runs a non-LT1 SBC.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Originally posted by Karl Ellwein:
If your Chevelle was 4200lb I don't think 11's would be so easy.
There are probably hundreds of 11 second all motor LT1 Fbody cars, (streetable too).

But deeper into the question as to why LT1? Mainly I think it's because of federal emissions. Only a tiny few are bold enough to put a non-emissions legal engine into their street car, (big blocks, old school small blocks). One engine that will kick all butt and certainly kick all old school butt and is 100% emissions legal is the LS1 That is one awesome small block. Put one of those in the heavy B-body and mod for mod compared to old school and LT1 it will annihilate the competition.

Karl
I do have to agree on the ls1. They have stock bottom end, just cam and head cars DEEEP into the 11's, and thats with all power and a/c, and great milage.
I love that technology, but just something about an old school small block, or a big block, that gets my heart pumpin.

My velle didn't have to pass anywhere near the standards of the 9c1, but it did run damn good for what i had into it.

And just because you COULD drive it everyday doesn't mean you would/should.
I'm just curious as to if anybody went backwards and put a gen 1 small block in their cars. In nj we have "collector car" insurance. What this is: cars NEWER than 25 years old can get a sticker from the dmv, all the check is to make sure the odo works. You get special insurance, and can't go over like 5,000miles a year. This is how i get around the emissions testing. ;)

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The LT1 block is pretty stout no need for an aftermarket, on the heads there are some very good ones available or gen1 ones are adaptable, but then again you already decided the LT1 is not worthwhile so I guess you wouldn't care to look into any of that. On the backhalve and stuff these hook fairly well without that stuff so why bother.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I only asked this because, of all the b-bodies i read about on here, to go into the 11's they have some sort of power adder, or they are a full race car.
Some people need to realize that although these are great cars, they are not god's gift to the automobile. :rolleyes:

G

·
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
And by bach halfing a car you can loose up to 300lbs, so it a two for one deal, more rubber on the ground and less weight to move.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Gen-1 small blocks and big blocks have both been dropped into former LT1 B-bodys. Making that swap is a pain in the ass though (the big block).

As for a Gen-1 small block....like I mentioned before you can go 400+ ci in an LT1 but you would be doing it more with stroke than with bore....and there are the waterjackets in the block that you must contend with.

As for parts availability from the perspective that you sited....I guess no one here really thoght of it as an issue....

KW

G

·
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
After you put the big power motor into the B-car to go easy 11's in theory, then what tranny will you put in to move the hulk of a car without busting a nut or two?
Not the 200R4. Not the 4L60E. Possibly the 4L80E.
All this mass is not going to go 11's and be daily driven all natural. But let me put my little 350 LT1 with simple head porting and small cam into any old Chevelle and heck yea it will go 11's all day and pass the sniffer test at the local fed. emissions test. Let me put my very mild and reliable 383LT1 with cast piles of junk for parts in any Chevelle and heck yea it will see 10's every once in a while. Natural!
And pass emissions with cats added. And idle at stoplights while running super cool.

You are 100% correct. These cars are not meant to be race cars. They are not the be all end all. One thing I'm quite certain of is that old school is light years behind the new GM LSX engine. But even a souped up LS1 engine in a big b-body is not going to run 11's natural without some race car like comprimise.
Karl

G

·
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I'd still like to se an all motor 427 or 472 small block in an impy, with a ladderbar suspension and full weight blaze through the 1/4. Nothing like a cam with alot of overlap to let people's eye's know you mean business :D [/QB]
So, what are you waiting for? Find 427 or 472 and put it in your Caprice. I'm relatively new here, but I'm pretty sure that those few Impalas with 454s in them don't run low 11s either...

G

·
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I only asked this because, of all the b-bodies i read about on here, to go into the 11's they have some sort of power adder, or they are a full race car.
Some people need to realize that although these are great cars, they are not god's gift to the automobile. :rolleyes:
While they're still working out some of their issues, i know of someone who owns a caged, backhalfed, street/strip 86 Monte carlo with a 468BBC. At the end of this season it just sweaked by high 11s without NOS, and with Nos they managed a low 11.26. and I don't think anyone on here every said they were god's gift to the automobile.

and Like Chris Mallory said, SSONIC is just a "street car"

Matt

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.