Chevy Impala SS Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My air shocks are leaking on my '94 FW and I'm wondering why everyone seems to want airbags over airshocks? AutoZone sells the Gabriel Hi Jackers for $60, but I don't quite understand what the idea behind using airbags instead.
I've got them on my '86 Buick Grand National for the strip, but when they're inflated, it's a rough ride, so they're useually not inflated.
I'd do a search, but for some reason, it's only showing results from this month.
I know most of the B-bodies didn't come with auto air level but why would someone who has the air leveling install airbags rather than just replace the shocks with air assist shocks?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
The load leveling system can use the bags to control ride height and will not get harsh in doing so, this then allows for often less expensive and better shocks to be used. I could be wrong though as I am new to the wagon/load leveling thing and just began paying attention. I talked to NAPA and they want $90 apiece for shocks, with the $180 total cost I could buy airlifts and Monroe severe service shocks, retaining the load leveling but getting a more performance oriented shock. At this point I think that is what I will do but after your post I might look at the Gabriel option, they didn't last well on the front of my sedan though so I don't have much faith there.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The airbags by Airlift get you more options. You can get whatever performance shock you want with the options of installing the airbags for load leveling or drag racing traction. For the latter you install individual valves for each bag and inflate one bag with more air than the other.

Jose

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yeah, that's what I do with my GN at the track, but when I forget to deflate them, the ride isn't so smooth.
So, you guys haven't noticed a significantly worse ride quality when the bags are inflated? How much pressure do you typically run?
If not, I'd consider modding my compressor to run the bags rather than shocks.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Leaving the compressor run the bags is I believe the most common and will keep ride nice. In my Caprice I run Airlifts with no load leveler and as long as I keep pressures reasonable ride is good. I keep them offset most of the time too since you never know when you might need a little extra traction.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Heh, then people look at your car and wonder why it's leaning sideways. It always weirded me out whenever it'd lean to the side, and my friends would say something like, "Why's your car all crooked?"

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.