Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im cheap thats why i bought my 9c1. I had kyb's on my camaro and they were great. I was wondering with the extra weight of our cars are the kyb's too weak? Why does everyone get billstiens? Anybody have kyb's, if so how you like them. I feel that there can't be that much diffence between these brands other than price. Or is that just it. Does the price mean i will go through two sets of kyb's in same time one set of Billstien's. What are all your opinion's?
Thanks for your time.

B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Basically, KYBs are "ok" shocks on the installment plan, in that they don't last that well on our heavy cars, where Bilsteins are a very good shock, and last 80k+.

If on a tight budget, go with the Monroe Severe Service shocks.

Do a search for "Monroe Severe Service"
I have an extensive review on them.

E

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hey wayne, you seem to be the guru on the Severe Service, shocks, why don't you add them to your sig? Btw, here's the extensive review and write up on the Monroe SS's: click here.

B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
why don't you add them to your sig?
I know, my sig is out of date...

The new restrictions on sigs also apply to code, so when I change my sig, I lose the links. My sig is under 500 visible, but the code is over 1300... I'll get around to it one of these days, but I spent quite a bit of time on it a while back to find that I could not update it with the links in place so I was a bit frustrated...

D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The KYB valving isn't as "stiff" as the Bilsteins.In this case you truly get what you what you pay for. D.

Q

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I just put the Edelbrock IAS shocks on my 94 . I really liked them on my 97 ZQ8 equiped Sonoma so I figured I would try them on the Impala. I like them alot.

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Originally posted by Wayne Bengston:
where Bilsteins are a very good shock, and last 80k+.
Am I wrong, or did I remember reading that the Bilsteins carry a lifetime warranty? I am not sure on that one.

D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I have a set of Bilsteins on my '94 LS and they realy don't seem to stiff to me like i would like to be.The guy i bought my car from said that he had put them on about 30k ago and he also put on a set of 9C1 springs in the rear.I still felt a bit to much body lean on the curvs.(60-65 mph)The guy i got my car from said that he was thinking about getting a set for a older 9C1 wich are stiffer i guess but he said that he really didn't want to harsh of a ride so he got the one's pacific to the '94 9C1's.Did Bilsteins get a little softer over the years? I know the '91 9C1 i had was great in the handeling dept.And that car had over 200k!! I have heard something about the '93 and under 9C1's being stiffer than the rest is this true?

N

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Another one with a poor reliability record.
You have my condolences
I'm sorry guys, but with all due respect..

That is BS... I know before when the IAS first came out. they would not hold up and start to leak, but since then Edelbrock has re engioneered them...

How do I know this?

Cuase my close friend with his SS was one of the First people to get these IAS, and his blew after like 6 months. He called up Edelbrock and they explained to him what happened and sent him a new redigned set. That was back in June 2001. It's Almost been 2.5 years since then. And he was the reason why I run IAS up front, and why I'm going to get a set for the rear.

I've had mine since June 2002. And Approxiamtely 30K miles since I did the shocks. Still nice and stiff with great handling... highly recommended....

E

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
How do the IAS compare in price to the KYB's, the sensa-traks, and the Monroe severe service shocks?

B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Originally posted by Danny_LT1:
I have a set of Bilsteins on my '94 LS and they realy don't seem to stiff to me like i would like to be.

I still felt a bit to much body lean on the curvs.(60-65 mph)The guy i got my car from said that he was thinking about getting a set for a older 9C1 wich are stiffer i guess but he said that he really didn't want to harsh of a ride so he got the one's pacific to the '94 9C1's.Did Bilsteins get a little softer over the years? I know the '91 9C1 i had was great in the handeling dept.And that car had over 200k!! I have heard something about the '93 and under 9C1's being stiffer than the rest is this true?
Shocks are not going to prevent body roll, just slow it down. You need the 9C1/SS or aftermarket sway bars to reduce the body roll. Sounds like you have the "HD" Bilsteins. You want the "Sport" ones. Do a search on Bilsteins.

I've heard of people recently buying IAS shocks and having problems. Even when they were new, some people had luck with them and others did not. They've been saying they are redesigned almost since they were introduced... Pricing is comparable to the Bilstein. No way I'd pick it over a Bilstein.

Bilsteins have a factory lifetime warranty. My point about long life is that you wont have to change them for a LONG time.

Sensatrac would be the cheapest and closest to stock Impala shock, at under $20 each. I think the KYBs can be had for $26 and represent a slight handling upgrade with a well known short life. Monroe SS is $35f/$40r and a major upgrade in handling. IAS was $75 last I heard, and the Bilsteins run around that plus or minus. 12-way adjustable QA1s are $130 each.

D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Yeah im a big fan of the Bilsteins,Im not real sure what type of Bilsteins i have i just know ther for the '94 caprice.

D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Who has personally had them and did they just go soft. You would think that if they were made to handle for the car they would take in to consideration the weight of the vehicle. I had at least 3 years 60,000 miles on my camaro's kyb's and they were great.

A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
DRIVING : talk to tbsimmons or pb_foots. They both had them, and can verify their craptacular behavior for you.

E

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Well, I had KYB's on and not to bad mouth the whole line of KYB but the set I had only lasted a little over a year. So I broke bread on a set of Hal's and now I'm a happy camper. ;)

K

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Originally posted by STRTWYZ:
Well, I had KYB's on....the set I had only lasted a little over a year.
Yeah.....I think mine lasted just over a year...but barely :( .

As for Edelbrocks...I'm glad you're getting good wear out 'em Nory....but I'll never buy 'em

KW

R

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I have about 3,000 miles on KYB Gas Shocks, and they seem to perform great. They were not cheap. I think that I payed about $450.00 installed at Big O.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts