Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For all you ISSCA directors or decision makers..why did you choose Tulsa, OK to hold the first annual ISSCA Nationals? Don't get me wrong, I have no problem with Tulsa. In fact i have never been there yet so I look forward to the opportunity to check it out. However, I am very curious as to why Tulsa was chosen over anywhere else. Alot of people keep asking me that same question too so I assume they are interested in knowiung the answer as well. Please let us know what the thinking was behind this. And I apologize if this has been said somewhere else. Just give me the link and I'll shut up. Thanks!

T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Probably because they considered it "centrally located".

H

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Not only why "where" but why "when"??? I assumed these days, 17-19 July, were centered over a weekend, like ImpalaFest, but it starts on Thursday, and ends on Saturday. (?) I know a couple of people that would need to get off work Wednesday, Thursday and Friday, to attend, that want to, but won't be able to get that many days off.

A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Holding the event on Thurs-Sat requires NO more days off than a Fri-Sun event unless you happen to live in Tulsa or VERY close (i.e. you'll drive home the evening of the event). For those of us coming from further away, it really helps!

Also, renting race facilities on a weekday is always cheaper (and often MUCH cheaper) than on a weekend day.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
for those who never visited TULSA, here
is some advise about the roads and police,

1.make sure you always watch the roads and i mean watch the roads, they have "pot holes heaven" roads are bumpy in some area's.

2. watch the center islands, tulsa is famous for there center islands sticking out to far so when when you make that left hand turn at
the light becareful,

3.the police in tulsa are just like the dukes of hazzard police dept. these cops hide in the
weirdest places, they love given out tickets,
trust me 3 tickets in 1 month.

4. make sure you have spare change in your
car, because tulsa is addicted to toll boths
on there mini freeways.

5. make sure you fill up your gas tank
there in tulsa because gas in really cheap,
back in 1995 i was paying .89-.93 cents per
gallon at quick trip, last summer when
i was there i payed $1.05 a gallon.

6. get a map of tulsa.

7. and if you are looking for a wife,
tulsa is the place to find them.

8. they are very friendly people there.

please no flames, i lived and attended college
in tulsa for 4 long years.

B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ok, these are all very cool reply's and all but doesn't anyone know the answer to MY question? :D
Thanks!!!

GODSPEED, thanks for the 4-1-1

Mike, yeah thats what I was thinking too but I'm still curious as to what the official reasons are.

Sorry, I'm a curious guy ;)

C

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
bruisser....it is hard to find somewhere that is somewhat centrally located AND has everything that we discriminating Impala owners want in an event. We can find dragstrips pretty easy. Parking lots big enough for an autocross or car show are a dime a dozen. But where they're all relitively close to one another AND have one of the main attractions--a road course. When you throw the road course into the mix you really narrow your choices.

You can always have a show in one town and then expect your contestants to drive 1hr or so away to get to the venue of the races, but that usually gets grumbles too.

The date was once again based on the open calendar days of the venues. With 200-300 cars participating, we can't just "show up" so we have to plan around other scheduled events.

Not only that...its different. St. Louis - been there done that (twice), Detroit - seen it. Maybe Indy one day, or somewhere else, but for next year...its Tulsa. I think you'll love it.

M

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR> Holding the event on Thurs-Sat requires NO more days off than a Fri-Sun event unless you happen to live in Tulsa or VERY close (i.e. you'll drive home the evening of the event). For those of us coming from further away, it really helps! <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

HuH??? Most folks, already have Sunday off. Most don't have Thursday off. I do understand that the road course was half off on Thursday, and I for one agree and like it for that day.

Mav

H

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Not sure of where you're coming from Ed, most of us work Monday-Friday. For example, I will have to leave Wednesday morning to get to Tulsa in time to participate in/spectate in any of the events. Sure, one more day isn't too big of a deal, but for a lot of people, it's the difference of working the majority of a work week, like during ImpalaFest, or the minority of the work week a person would end up working with the Tulsa event.

P

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Here are some of the considerations used in determining the location of Tulsa: Smack dabb in the middle of the US, a hotel that is very good to car people and will bend over backwards to help us, very large parking lot, cheap gas, one of the coolest road courses in the country, good room rates, affordable facilities, hotel used by other national car clubs with great reveiws, something new for everyone, good food everywhere (ribs!), and I convinced the rest of the board that moving around the country is a good thing.

S

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
i think what was trying to be illustrated was say if you were coming from the east coast like karl or myself, or the left coast like ed and you cali guys, you've got a 15+ hour drive back home...so if you drove home sunday nite, you would be taking monday off anyway as most likey you wouldn't get back til after your normal work day started. ie. leave at 5p.m. lose 1 hour eastward +15 hour drive leaves you at 9 a.m. with no sleep for 24 hours. therfore your choice would be to work the minority of the show week or work the majority of that week , then miss the next monday. however if i have missed the point completely please forgive me. rock on, rus

btw. bruisser the short answers to your question are as bill said...cost and availibilty of facilities and secondly the realtive equidistance to all four corners of the u.s.

H

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I see where you're coming from, but again, that's 2 work weeks that would only have 1-2 days missed from work each week, rather than missing most or all of one entire work week.

K

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Last year was Fri-Sat-Sun. 2000 was Sun-Mon-Tue-Wed-Thur. I think BG '99 was Thur-Fri-Sat-Sun. This year is Thur-Fri-Sat. Looks to me like it is always different. I just plan my vacation accordingly and if I can make it, I know I'll have a great time.

KC

A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Rus got it. Basically if you're a one day drive away (i.e. Colorado), you're either travelling on a weekday the week before (like for Tulsa) OR on the Monday after the event.

So instead of taking off on Wed-Fri (like now), you'd take of Thur,Fri,Mon with the show being on Fri-Sun. THE SAME EXACT NUMBER OF DAYS OFF!!!!

For those of us with a "longer" drive (i.e. it's about 25 hours worth of DRIVING from the Bay Area), it's sort of a wash. Actually ideal for us would be a Tue-Thurs event (that way it's only 5 days vacation instead of 6), but it wouldn't help for others to put it right in the middle of the week.

H

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Why would I take Monday off? I left ImpalaFest on Sunday afternoon, got home around 10:30PM, went to work Monday morning. NOT THE SAME EXACT NUMBER OF DAYS OFF!!!!
:rolleyes:
I sincerely doubt that I will say in Tulsa Saturday night.

A

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
HuSSker : it's 700 miles for you to Tulsa (yes, I looked). Are you REALLY telling me that if the event ended on Sunday afternoon at 5PM (i.e. things ARE gonna wrap up on SATURDAY at 5PM or so), that you'd be at work on Monday MORNING at 8AM?

Be honest when you answer this.....

H

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
No, 7AM. I have the fortune of driving a relatively short distance, and crossing a time zone. Besides that, if I'm here, I'm not going to waste a vacation day just to sleep. I just drink a little extra coffee that day, take a nap after work-no biggie. If I do leave Saturday night, you can bet I'll be in church on Sunday morning. Simply put, yes, I'm REALLY telling you that. Based on the routes I'm looking at, 700 miles is a bit long(yes, I looked too). I spent a year in Korea, partying all night, and going to work at 0-dark:30, most of the time hung over. Compared to that, a liesurely drive is a piece of cake!

J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Yipes! I just took a look how long it would take me.....34 hours, 2100 miles. I just might fly in.

T

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by AutocroSSer:
So instead of taking off on Wed-Fri (like now), you'd take of Thur,Fri,Mon with the show being on Fri-Sun. THE SAME EXACT NUMBER OF DAYS OFF!!!!.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

For a Fri/Sat/Sun event, the Wed-Fri would be travel days, right? Which would mean you'd probably also take the following Mon-Tues off for travel as well. Total days off: 5

If a show were Thurs/Fri/Sat, then you'd need to take Tues-Fri off, as well as the next Monday for travel. Total days off: 5

This only works for those of you who can't make it back in an evening/half day. For those of us who can it's an extra day off that we have to take, leaving Sunday as a "wasted day".

This past Impalafest I drove down Friday, drove back Sunday afternoon, and woke up for class on Monday. If it had been a Thurs/Fri/Sat show, I would have had to also miss Thursday's class. That's an extra day that I couldn't have spared. I'm sure there are more than a few people with regular jobs that are in the same boat.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts