Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3,015 Posts
It may fit, but will it function? It would take some serious engineering to get the controls to work.

·
Premium Member
1,648 Posts
It may fit, but will it function? It would take some serious engineering to get the controls to work.
That was my thought too. You may have to snag the steering column and all wiring. That is if the column is a close fit. You may have opened up another mod bucket of worms.:surprise:

Mark: Snowman-33

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yeah the wiring would suck, but I just want the wheel, the original steering wheel is cool but I want a functional horn pad. And those monte wheels are hard to find especially the tan ones, and here at the junkyard I see these all over the place. I was just testing to waters to see if anyone has tried it before.

·
Registered
1,146 Posts
Been thinking of a similar swap from a 2001 Yukon XL or similar to my Caprice wagon. No buttons or controls to deal with.

Tom

·
Premium Member
1,648 Posts
I'm going to go out on a limb here but, I think the splines on the column and the wheel will match. When I bought my wheel there was no listing for the adapter to use on my 93. I just got one for the earlier GM and it fit. The reason, I suspect, for not listing later models is the air bag. I wanted to get one from a Suburban, about 2008 model. The PnP wouldn't sell it without buying the column too.

Mark: Snowman-33

Whoops, Not 2008 but mid 80s steering wheel.

·
Registered
11,219 Posts
GM changed the mounts in the mid 90s. The wheels after that have totally different mounting systems. Someone on here or the longroof forum tried a late 90s Cadillac wheel on a B-body, and it did not work out. Airbags are different too.

I used a couple of different adapters to put aftermarket wheels on my cars. I like the look and feel of the aftermarket ones better, as well. Just be careful with the distance between the wheel and turn signal stalk.

·
Premium Member
519 Posts
try mid to late 90's trailblazer steering wheels

1 - 10 of 10 Posts