Chevy Impala SS Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Some guy totaled his 96 Camaro and offered to sell me his 52mm TB and a Granatelli MAF for $200. I know nothing about the MAF though.

Thanks for any help

Klez

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Yes it will work, but you'll need a reprogram for the PCM, unless you like your tranny toasted. Talk to PCMFORLESS.COM for the details.

Keep us posted!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah-I was speaking to a member at a local cruise night and he had said you can use the F-body mass airflow which is 3 1/2 in's.The B-body uses a 3in-I'm not sure about the 52mm on a stock engine though.Someone else will chime in.That's a great price.Ed

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Here's what ya should do:

1) Buy the package

2) Sell the Granatelli to some poor sucker on Ebay for like $150...

3) Buy an F-body MAF used for $50

You've now spend a total of $100 for an upgrade of both your MAF -and- throttle body... which is a helluva deal...

BOTH mods will require PCM reprogramming though. www.pcmforless.com for that.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I thought I would just buy both and sell the MAF on ebay (he would not seperate). Is the Granatelli any good or is it just a look cool do nothing mod?

One other question what do you use to go to a 3.5 MAF? 3.5 filter and intake, but is there a 3.5 TB boot?

Thanks Guys
for all the help

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
What performance gain do you get from going to a F-body MAF? Does it give you some HP, accelerate better, or just better overall performance?

Thanks,

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Under 300RWHP, likely no gain at all... past 300 you're approaching the limits of the 3" MAF to accurately measure air, hence time to go to the larger F-body one, which should be sufficient for just about any NA LT1 out there.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I agree, however.....I have noticed better throttle response with the larger MAF. Now I did not descreen the stock B-Body unit so perhaps it would have been the same, but I can tell you first hand the SOP feeling was simply that the larger MAF was a better response.

After the Herter program, it was even better and the cat-back didn't hurt either! ;)

Eric

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Knightshade:
Here's what ya should do:

1) Buy the package

2) Sell the Granatelli to some poor sucker on Ebay for like $150...

3) Buy an F-body MAF used for $50

You've now spend a total of $100 for an upgrade of both your MAF -and- throttle body... which is a helluva deal...

BOTH mods will require PCM reprogramming though. www.pcmforless.com for that.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

OK is the Granatelli junk or something?

Also what is needed to convert to a 3.5 MAF?

Thank
Klez

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I would have to second Knightshade's plan.

I have no personal experience with the Granatelli but I have read and been told by persons using them that there was little or no HP increase with them over the 3.5 inch on a moderate engine. They are also not supplied with MAF tables and are inconsistent in that respect.
The nice thing about the "F" is it is a known quantity and you just need to plug in the "F" car tables and you are set.
Since your are a PCMFORLESS customer, the "F" MAF is as simple as "hey Brian I changed to a "F" body MAF"

G

·
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I know at least one person who traced drivability troubles to a Granatelli MAF, as stated above the calibrations for it are unknown, the stock F-body tables are known. Im my sig it says ZO6 MAF and wish I had just gone with the f-body piece. It is about the same size but will read less flow in this application(due to pcm differences), but is available new for less money than a new f-body MAF.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.