Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
890 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Is the s10 converter loose enough to cause an impala to bounce off the rev limiter during a WOT shift? I had my trans rebuilt with a shift kit (i don't even know what kind) earlier this year and now during WOT 2-3 shifts it bounces off the rev limiter the majority of the time. When it was really hot out i had the same issue with the 1-2 shift about 2 times.

When i initially noticed the problem, i checked the fluid and it didn't seem burnt, but it was overfilled. I siphoned some out to correct the level (thinking that ATF might be getting aerated) and it seems slightly better now (could be my imagination), but it still misses the 2-3 shift a lot.

Is this something that can/should be corrected by changing shift points with a tune, or is there more likely something mechanically wrong with my trans? I took it back to the shop and they can't seem to find anything wrong with it :-/

edit: just called back and they got it to recreate the problem and are checking further into it now

·
Premium Member
20,353 Posts
Is the s10 converter loose enough to cause an impala to bounce off the rev limiter during a WOT shift......
No. The S-10 converter is only set to about 2200 stall.

The more like scenario is that your tranny is taking a bonifide dump!

Looks like a classic case of 3-4 clutch failure (do a Forum search).

If that's what it is.....you'll need a rebuild.

KW

·
Registered
890 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
thanks for the response, i didnt think it stalled high enough to cause this, but kinda wondered. i'll be sure to post up with what they find when this gets sorted out

·
Registered
869 Posts
possible with the shift kit the shifts points are just too high. Might want to talk to a tuner to help. Usually you can tell when its a slip or just shift timing. Chances are though the shop may just mod the shift kit a bit maybe to not hang up the shifts

·
Premium Member
3,774 Posts
Don't panic yet. It could be that with the additional slip in that TC, the mph threshold is not yet met for the shift, even though the rpm threshold has already been met/exceeded. Since you said "majority of the time" , not ALL the time, I bet all it would take is a bump of 200 rpm on the fuel cutoff/resume rpm values (rev limit).
You should get a tune anyway!

·
Registered
890 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
You should get a tune anyway!
haha hopefully we can straighten it out without tuning, but I like your thinking. I do want to get it tuned at some point this year, but I have a few things I want to fix first.

Another question for you guys: Is the s-10 loose enough to cause the engine idle issue? If I'm stopped at a light, give it light throttle for a second and then let it coast at idle sometimes the tac bounces around for a bit like the motor's overcompensating.

·
Registered
557 Posts
12 years with S-10 Torque Converter

Never any problems for our daily driver 9c1 Lt1.

Currently 218,500 miles

GM S-10 Torque Converter
Shift Kit
Bryan Herter Tune
3:73 Gear
Tranny rebuilt a few years back.

Wutz

·
Premium Member
3,774 Posts
haha hopefully we can straighten it out without tuning, but I like your thinking. I do want to get it tuned at some point this year, but I have a few things I want to fix first.

Another question for you guys: Is the s-10 loose enough to cause the engine idle issue? If I'm stopped at a light, give it light throttle for a second and then let it coast at idle sometimes the tac bounces around for a bit like the motor's overcompensating.
Yes, slightly less fluid drag at idle compared to your stock TC can do that if the mechanical stop screw on the throttle body isn't holding the blades slightly open, relying entirely on the PCM and IAC valve to catch the undershoot. Adjust it just till you see it start to move the linkage. Try it, and repeat if necessary.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts