Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2,058 Posts
Hummmm, I wonder what a 'color change' would do to the Mona Lisa...?

Maybe not such a great idea...

$0.02

·
Registered
262 Posts
I would say it depends on the factory color you have right now and if it's in mint cond... and the quality of the new paint job too...

And LOL @ Fooser.

·
Registered
3,505 Posts
If you are concerned about the value of it, it is better to paint it DCM again. Color changes are rarely undetectable.

·
Registered
1,030 Posts
Yes. xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

·
Premium Member
2,755 Posts
Any deviation from stock potentially decreases the value of any car and almost always the value of "collectibles"(which an ImpalaSS is). You narrow your potential market. But at the same time it depends on how you look at it. Certain mods, well done, will gain you value in a place like this where you're surrounded by fans of these cars. Especially now when the prices are down in the general market because they are seen, by most people, as just old cars. The 'net, in letting people come together over a single common item like this, has altered things...at least some.

OTOH if your consideration is long term collectibility then other than wheels and easy to change bolt on items it's always best to leave it alone. A matching numbers, original color 1st Gen Camaro, for example, either nice original or well restored, is worth more than any custom with few exceptions. Even when a custom does bring more money it's harder to sell it because, again, the market is narrower(and it's often pretty narrow to start with).

·
Registered
11,486 Posts
It is a lot more expensive to change color as well. You have to paint all of the door jams, trunk interior, and under the bumpers, trim, and hood to make it right. You should strip the car down to the bare body and start there.

·
Premium Member
20,353 Posts

·
Registered
3,922 Posts
Did you buy the car to drive and enjoy or as an investment?

Unless it is a low mileage garage queen I wouldn't be too worried about it's value.

·
Premium Member
20,353 Posts

·
Registered
890 Posts
The repaint of my '94 SS was the reason I got a really good price on it when I bought it 13 years ago. It was a good paint job (complete color change to white) and it's held up well over the years. I drive it and it lives outside, so any change in it's collector value means nothing to me.

·
Registered
3,922 Posts
I drive it and it lives outside, so any change in it's collector value means nothing to me.
As we all should feel :) Unless of course you have a 69 ZL1 Camaro with it's original drivetrain or something similar, lol.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts