Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
854 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got a ding in a door and paint flaking off the wing. It'd be cheaper to replace these through a part out than getting them touched up & repainted.

But I'm worried that the paint will vary and the new door and wing won't match right. Is this a legitimate concern? Should I take my car down and see how they match or can I get the parts and be confident they'll blend right in? BTW, my car is DGGM & so is the donor.

·
Registered
1,297 Posts
To won't know untill you get then and put them on. But I'm betting they won't be perfect.

·
Super Moderator
8,894 Posts
I have replaced parts on two different vehicles from two different automakers. Both times, the vehicle was the same make/model and paint color but one year different. One match (GM, '96 light driftwood metallic onto a '95) was pretty close, but the other was not, mainly due to difference in metal flake ('00 Chrysler gold to '99).

To get a perfect match, you are betting that the following properties are identical:
1. paint color
2. metal flake intensity
3. metal flake lay-down direction
4. gloss

The other thing to note here is panel fit. I have four experiences with this, and in all four cases, the new panel did not fit perfectly, despite it being OEM and one model year apart.

·
Registered
854 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks, I'm glad I asked. I don't want it to look like crap just to save a few bucks.
I can't do paintless dent removal cause whatever dinged it nicked the paint too
:mad:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts