Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
859 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just learned of the existence of the mile race coming up this weekend at Wilmington, Ohio...sanctioned by the East Coast Timing Association. Anybody have experience with this? Looks like it used to be held in Maxton, NC. I'm curious of estimates for a stock Impala's speed (standing start) over a mile.

Info at: www.ecta-lsr.com

·
Registered
833 Posts
Maxton Mile

They used to run at an old airport in Maxton, NC. They have some strict safety equipment rules. It is a standing start one mile run. Street cars without roll bars, hood pins, fire and 6-point belts, etc are limited to 125mph IRRC.

A couple of stock Impalas ran Maxton back in the day. One hit about 130 before he got time out for exceeding the speed limit and John Madley ran
his GiantSS there and did well over 150mph before going to Bonneville and breaking the 200 MPH mark.

·
Premium Member
859 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yep, I was thinking (based on a few...shall we say...non-sanctioned tests in my car) that our cars should be in the 140 - 150 range and then onward from their with modifications. I'm finding this more interesting than 1/4 mile drag racing...may have to give it a go sometime.

·
Registered
493 Posts
I was really planning to go to that event this year, but I ended up having my second son instead:)Im very interested in going next year if youre in.Funny enough, I named my son Maxton:)

·
Registered
2,027 Posts
Anymore info in this? Not tryin to beat a dead horse

·
Registered
833 Posts
Wilmington, Ohio Mile

Google Wilmington Mile. 9,000 foot course. Schedule for 2014 is: May 3-4, June 7-8, July 7-8 and September 27-28. If you want to run join and get a rule book. They have some serious safety requirements as most of the hard core players also run Bonneville. You will see some FaSSt cars. It is a standing mile run.

·
Registered
976 Posts
Did anybody run a few weeks back?

I'd like to get a pass in this year.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts