Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 68 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,309 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is exploratory, to see if there may be enough interest in running a GP.

There are a couple of threads in the Brake Forum--THIS one is probably most helpful for anyone to look at this with clarity.

These calipers will work on both OE 12" front rotors and the HD12 "thick" rotors that are available.

There are unresolved questions, which include pad compatibility, cost, and the need for special hydraulic hoses.

I have one of these calipers, and I'm working on answers to the questions now.

For now, please respond here or by PM to indicate your possible interest. I cannot discuss cost at this point, since I do not know what the hoses are going to cost, nor do I know at what cost it may be possible to get the calipers for, which will be quantity-driven.

·
Premium Member
6,309 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Update 4/10/2010

Right now, the Wilwood D52's can be offered in a GP for $295 per pair. Shipping TBD (see below)

To activate the GP, a minimum of 5 participants is needed--at least a 10 caliper buy is needed.

The price is the same for both wide & narrow versions of the caliper. Need to know which rotor you would be using.

Available in RED only, with Wilwood logo decal (or painted)--NOT engraved. Easy to change appearance, use other logos or leave plain; has nice flat surface.

Comes with 2 caliper bolts, does not include pads.

The unresolved question(s) include:

- can they be drop-shipped or will they have to be "shipped twice", which would impact delivered price more.

- special line/connection fitting required? Parts on order to build a hose and validate this.

- pad compatibility with pad brands other than Wilwood

The first 2 questions might impact total price, the last only becomes a question of whether your pads of choice work out of the box, or require shim removal.

Please PM with your intentions. If GP activates, payment will be via PayPal or money order, details provided with your commitment.

·
Premium Member
6,032 Posts
I might be interested pending more info about the lines needed to make this happen. You mentioned in that thread that there might not be any real gain with this mod as the surface area of the 2 pistons is somewhat smaller than that of a single piston. Am I wrong in my conclusion? I will possibly PM you later this evening Bill, thanks again for always going above and beyond!

·
Registered
2,685 Posts
Id be interested in a set depending on shipping to hawaii

·
Registered
2,685 Posts
hmm thanks for the heads up. Let us know what you figure out, im in need of a brake job

·
Registered
1,084 Posts
^^^^ Now thats goooooooddddddddd ^^^^^^
Cant bet that shipping white boi

·
Registered
1,084 Posts

·
Registered
2,685 Posts

·
Registered
1,084 Posts
HAHA you going to make it to the hobby shop? If not dont worry. Maybe Friday or Saturday would be good to
Sorry Bill for the thread jack White bois phone is broken

·
Premium Member
6,309 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
HAHA you going to make it to the hobby shop? If not dont worry. Maybe Friday or Saturday would be good to
Sorry Bill for the thread jack White bois phone is broken
You boys.....makin' me homesick! No malasadas or spam musubi here.....and only McDonalds, no Zippys. L&L didn't make it to Cali until after we moved. :(

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
Right now, the Wilwood D52's can be offered in a GP for $295 per pair. Shipping TBD (see below)

To activate the GP, a minimum of 5 participants is needed--at least a 10 caliper buy is needed.

The price is the same for both wide & narrow versions of the caliper. Need to know which rotor you would be using.

Available in RED only, with Wilwood logo decal (or painted)--NOT engraved. Easy to change appearance, use other logos or leave plain; has nice flat surface.

Comes with 2 caliper bolts, does not include pads.

The unresolved question(s) include:

- can they be drop-shipped or will they have to be "shipped twice", which would impact delivered price more.

- special line/connection fitting required? Parts on order to build a hose and validate this.

- pad compatibility with pad brands other than Wilwood

The first 2 questions might impact total price, the last only becomes a question of whether your pads of choice work out of the box, or require shim removal.

Please PM with your intentions. If GP activates, payment will be via PayPal or money order, details provided with your commitment.
I tried to see in either of your posts, Bill, but are these the 1.25" pistons or the 2" pistons... I saw both variants on Wilwoods website.

·
Premium Member
6,309 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Bob,

Originally I posted up the information about D52's as they related to use with the HD12 rotor package.

While it is possible, for someone who wanted to create the mounting brackets, to use D52's on the rear axle, my only focus has been using them as direct replacements for the OE front caliper, That means 2" pistons, and 2 caliper widths--one for production rotors (1.04") and the other for fitment with HD12 rotors (1.28").

Bottom line--if the small-piston caliper was used on front, the piston area would be radically insufficient to apply adequate force on the front pads--F/R balance would be totally "out of whack" and the brake pedal would be like pushing on a 1000# rock.

1 - 20 of 68 Posts