Chevy Impala SS Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have two window motors that don't work all the time. Both are on the driver's side. Currently the back window is working and the front one is not. Earlier I had read that you could slam the door shut with the window switch on and that would sometimes make it work again. I did that to at least one window earlier and got at least one of them working again (I may have gotten both of them working but I don't remember). Anyhow I basically did this again and got the back window working for now.

This seems to be a temporary fix. Is there a way to fix this problem permanently without replacing the motor? If I need to replace the motor, how much are they and how hard are they to replace?

· Registered
1,115 Posts
The problem may also be in the drivers side switch itself, you need to remove the DS Switch 1st and see if you have a poor connection in 1 of the harness connectors. Post back what you find with the switch, then we can take it from there if further repairs are needed?

· Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I took off the switch panel and everything looks good. All the wires seems to be firmly in place. Am I supposed to somehow check the switch itself?

When I activate the switch I notice the inside lights will slightly dim so it must be drawing at least a little current.

· Registered
11,700 Posts
You have to check each wire that goes to the switch that makes the light dim when you press it. The lights should not dim. Look for insulation that is missing, or cracked. You can also move the wires to different positions, and then try the offending switch. Another switch module would allow you to determine the condition of your current one. The only other part is the motor. Start with the wires, then the switch module.

You can take the connector off of the motor, and try the switch. If it continues to dim the lights, it is not the motor, unless moving the wires fixed the problem. That is why you check everything else first.

· Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The wires all look new. I've never taken the switch panel off before and I'm the only one that has owned this car.

I moved the switch module around while activating the switch but got nothing. The dimming lights thing is very slight and seems to be normal. You can barely tell it happens and the same thing happens if I try to roll up a working window that is already all the way up. That makes me think the switch itself is probably OK.

Do you still think it could be the switch or wiring?

· Registered
1,115 Posts
There's another way to check the window regulator operation itself (Bypassing the switch). It envolves using a 12V Battery from a power pack drill, and 2 lengths of wire inserted into the Correct wire sockets where the window switch goes, and using the battery power to roll the window up. This is how we used to roll up windows at the factory when no battery was present in the car yet. I'm at work now but, I'll post back the correct color wires and procedure in the AM.

· Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Cool. I'll be looking for your post on which wires to use. I pulled out the switch module but I can't even tell which wires go to which switch.

With the help of you guys that know what you're doing, I just might end up with a working window yet.
:)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.