Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I replaced the front drivers side window motor and replaced the factory sliders with rollers and it still will sometimes stop when trying to put the window up. It is definitely better with the newer stronger motor but it seems like something is still causing enough resistance to hold it up occasionally.

One thought I had was the felt/rubber strips inside the window tracks. Has anyone ever had these wear out to where they were holding up the window? Can you get that stuff new anywhere? Seems like that's something GM' may have used for 30+ years.

Any other ideas?

Thanks

·
Registered
11,219 Posts
The left was available a couple of years ago, but the right is no longer available. Sometimes you can get a nice one in a junk yard. Look for the front corner to have no gap.

The run channel is probably not the issue. Sometimes the wipe along the top of the interior panel will curl under when lowering the glass. If not the wipe, you may have some old hardened grease in the track.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The left was available a couple of years ago, but the right is no longer available. Sometimes you can get a nice one in a junk yard. Look for the front corner to have no gap.

The run channel is probably not the issue. Sometimes the wipe along the top of the interior panel will curl under when lowering the glass. If not the wipe, you may have some old hardened grease in the track.
Thanks for the info. The inside wipe may have something to do with it. When it first got stuck with the old motor I took the interior panel off and it then started to work again. Put the panel back on and it didnt move.

I originally thought that was just evidence of a weak 20 year old motor.

·
Registered
11,219 Posts
At this point, I have not figured out how to keep the wipe from curling under. If anyone has any ideas I would appreciate them. I have thought about using a dry lube to lubricate the wipe, and not streak or make the glass messy.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
At this point, I have not figured out how to keep the wipe from curling under. If anyone has any ideas I would appreciate them. I have thought about using a dry lube to lubricate the wipe, and not streak or make the glass messy.
Thats what I was thinking. I have some of that Teflon Dry lube in a spray can from the BP Blaster company. I know Dupont also makes ones that Lowes carries.

·
Registered
428 Posts
try some silicone grease. I have greased my super duty windows and it speed them all up a bit.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts