Chevy Impala SS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
11,749 Posts
Clean the glass, clean the glass, clean the glass, clean the glass...use recomended solution.

Water with a some baby shampoo in it to allow slip (or premade solution). Use liberally.

Use a heat gun and NEW squeegee to form the tint on the outside of the window (see clean the glass above), and cut to shape when formed. Backing faces you when shaping on the outside. You may have to practice this part.

Overlap the tint about 1/16 to 1/8 inch on the black portion of the glass.

·
Registered
2,630 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Clean the glass, clean the glass, clean the glass, clean the glass...use recomended solution.

Water with a some baby shampoo in it to allow slip (or premade solution). Use liberally.

Use a heat gun and NEW squeegee to form the tint on the outside of the window (see clean the glass above), and cut to shape when formed. Backing faces you when shaping on the outside. You may have to practice this part.

Overlap the tint about 1/16 to 1/8 inch on the black portion of the glass.
does the type of film make a difference...

·
Registered
205 Posts
What Fred Said, and keep it very wet and shady. I have done a few on my previous vehicles. windows are not too bad...back is a real PITA.

I think you are supposed to start in the center and work your way out...right?

·
Registered
6,949 Posts
I was under the impression the type of tint you can buy at the store is cheap film, and the better stuff is really only sold in large rolls so you'd have to go through a tint shop to buy it. That's one of those things I won't touch myself.

That being said if you wanna try it, I watched the shop do mine, they did computer cut, but you can lay the film on the window, go around with an xacto knife, cut to fit, hit with a heat gun/hair dryer so it gets the curve in it. I believe they started at the top then slowly removed the backing and squeegied it on. They used Johnsons baby shampoo and water as the solution. When you get the film almost on, use a plastic putty knife to push the rubber down on the inside of the window, then push then finish squeeging to the bottom. Don't put the window down for a few days so it can dry.

As easy as they make it look I'm still never gonna try it. I heard Car Pretty in the NE will do a whole car for $100 and have a good rep, so by the time you buy supplies... might just be easier to pay to get it done. It's gonna be hard to get the film to match if you do just one window. I used Shades of Grey in Trevose, they're good but expensive, paid $220.

·
Registered
6,949 Posts
does the type of film make a difference...
Dyed will turn purple within a year. The shop I went to showed me some film they removed that was the cheap ****... like crunchy purple cellophane.

·
Registered
2,630 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Dyed will turn purple within a year. The shop I went to showed me some film they removed that was the cheap ****... like crunchy purple cellophane.
mine was purple thats why i took it off, i was going to go w/ 215motoring or the shop up in southwest called select performance for $275 because i'm having the windshield done.

·
Registered
210 Posts
I will chime in and recommend the same. GOOD, quality tint (not wal-mart crap) or have a shop do it. The back window I hear is pretty darn hard to do. Round about way, it bends 3 ways...And with little access to the bottom, might be a pain for the amateur.
Most shops have warranties too on the tint.

·
Registered
1,901 Posts
Tinting at home you say? Buying the tint from the shelf or better yet eBay, pre-cut??

Just dont do it.

This is one of those needs to be done by a profeSSional things.

Most of the quality cats (that are just dangerously skilled at this art) only use top flight materials and will give you a lifetime warranty with the deal.

Our back window can reduce mortal men to tears.

Save up for it if you need to, and do it right the first time; pay a Pro.

·
Registered
6,949 Posts
mine was purple thats why i took it off, i was going to go w/ 215motoring or the shop up in southwest called select performance for $275 because i'm having the windshield done.
For that price I would go with Shades of Grey. Good Vibrations did the tints on my TBSS but that was before I bought it, looks good but I can see an outline around the GM/70%trans thing on the bottom, SOG would have sanded that **** off, they probably have the best attention to detail in the area.

·
Registered
7,095 Posts
Tinting at home you say? Buying the tint from the shelf or better yet eBay, pre-cut??

Just dont do it.

This is one of those needs to be done by a profeSSional things.

Most of the quality cats (that are just dangerously skilled at this art) only use top flight materials and will give you a lifetime warranty with the deal.

Our back window can reduce mortal men to tears.

Save up for it if you need to, and do it right the first time; pay a Pro.

:D:)cwm1:confused:cwm9cwm3:mad::mad::mad::mad::(:(:(:(..........
thats how that went, some things are just definitely better left to the professionals

·
Registered
690 Posts
+1 on the fail attempts

I like the chrome tint and most shops do not carry that. they have gray but it snot the same

I actually had success with the back window ( multiple pieces) the lines hide behind the defroster.

the main problem was cutting the shape of the windows at the door. that is a skill you need to learn, I could never get a clean cut all around.

I eventually gave up and thankfully I found a guy that does tint from his home, $80 for the entire car.

·
Registered
1,141 Posts
The best advice on tinting:

Pay someone to do it.

It's done right the first time, if not, it's fixed (a good shop will fix it); lifetime warranty; you're not sitting there sweating your ass off swearing at every little thing; you can get carbon dyed tint that will not fade like metallic dyed tint you'll find at the store; and lastly, the cost isn't much more than buying all the tint, the solution, the supplies to apply it, and the time spent on doing it.

·
Premium Member
73 Posts
I had mine done today at Sun-Pro in Winchester, VA. Took the guy over 4 hours. He removed the door panels, rear seat, and rear deck (?). Great work; excellent results. Cost me $190. I wouldn't even dream of trying to do this myself. In 3 days I can roll down the windows, according to the installer. The window film was Sun Tech Carbon, 35% tint, all around. Not quite kosher in VA but...

What can I say? The Fast Impala looks bad ass.

Runesman:D

1 - 20 of 26 Posts