Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
580 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is there a common issue with the electric windows losing power? Back passenger hasn’t worked in a while and front passenger suddenly stopped working when I put it down... couldn’t get it back up... on my ‘94 Roadmaster wagon. Seems a bad connection or wire somewhere, as no power to switch. Is there a common area that goes bad?

·
Registered
11,101 Posts
The pink wire is the direct power to the switches. They also receive power from the main module on the other leads when the up and down paddles are pushed on the main panel.The motors are internally grounded.

·
Registered
580 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I could run a new wire or find where it’s bad... I prefer the latter. Just wondering if there is an area that commonly goes bad.

·
Premium Member
4,774 Posts
The motors are internally grounded.
In a 95 buick wagon,
NO they are not!!
The window motors reverse polarity to change direction.
The only ground comes from master switch terminal E to G201
While not super intricate, you really need the wiring diagram to follow and understand the circuit paths.
They are a modern day cheap Christmas light set.
As in a failure , or partial failure of one switch can stop both controls working.
To underline
If some but not all windows are not working , especially in just one direction,
Without the diagram in hand, you are wasting your time, and will diagnose the system wrong.

·
Registered
11,101 Posts
I did not see a ground wire on the schematics in my FSM.

·
Premium Member
4,774 Posts
One , he has a 95 buick, your wiring and colors from , I am guessing a 91 or 92 Olds manual do not apply.
Two, looking at either year car diagrams, it is pretty clear the motors are not internally grounded type.
Those haven't been around since , what, the mid 70's ?
Great big heavy motors and large gauge wiring.

Three, my 92 Olds info, albeit not directly from GM, shows the grounds coming from the main switch panel, like the 95
92 Olds windows.JPG

1 - 8 of 8 Posts