Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
413 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok well this morning I went to wash my car. Noticed 2 small cracks right down by the vin on front windshield. Couple inches long streaming from below the moulding. Well its a sungate windshield so believe me I was pissed.
I called safelight and they said 280 for 1 of there windshields installed. I opted for the repair. Guy was here within the hour and put resign in it. Can still see crack from outside only. He said its probably gonna get worse. ugh...
Just venting.

·
Registered
1,901 Posts
I hear ya bro, I lost a Sungate because of rocks.

Tried to find one for the longest time and just decided to get a regular as a replacement.

Heres one to make you feel much better.

We had 1 inch hail here a couple a weeks ago and we all got nailed pretty bad so I am dealing with that crap now. My car is outside all year, I here it hitting the house in the middle of the night and go tearing azz down the stairs and outside in my friggin shorts toSSing all the lawn furniture around and putting the lawnchair cushions on the SS with my wifes expensive quilts off our beds. It was quite a scene. The trunk took a shot.

Making friends with some PDR guys as we speak.

Always something.

·
Registered
3,096 Posts
Ok well this morning I went to wash my car. Noticed 2 small cracks right down by the vin on front windshield. Couple inches long streaming from below the moulding. Well its a sungate windshield so believe me I was pissed.
I called safelight and they said 280 for 1 of there windshields installed. I opted for the repair. Guy was here within the hour and put resign in it. Can still see crack from outside only. He said its probably gonna get worse. ugh...
Just venting.
Did you check your insurance? They often cover repair (only) at no cost. FWIW - Sunlite still has some Sungate available - you gotta insist on it (and obviously already have one) and they may have to order it - not many around now.

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
what the hell is the big deal with sungate??

·
Registered
1996 Impala SS, DGGM
204 Posts
Sungate Winshields

From a site about the Sungate Winshield and it's benefits:

The Sungate windshield is a laminated, high-performance solar control product designed to reflect infrared rays while meeting all federal requirements for light transmittance.

With the ability to reflect over 50 percent of the sun’s total energy, the Sungate windshield will never be mistaken for a conventional tinted windshield. In fact, it outperforms such products by 400 percent.

Heat Reduction Improves Fuel Efficiency
Because the Sungate windshield reduces infrared heat energy by 90 percent, it also cuts passenger time to comfort by up to 50 percent. While the air conditioning is operating, the Sungate windshield improves fuel efficiency by as much as 3 to 4 percent.

Comfort and Protection by Design
The Sungate windshield incorporates a multi-layer transparent metal/metal oxide coating on the inboard surface of the outer glass. Silver coating layers reflect solar energy. Other layers control visible reflections and, at the same time, protect the silver layers from attack by chemicals or other environmental components.

Consumer Health Benefits
The windshield provides complete protection from extreme UV ultraviolet solar radiation, and therefore offers undisputed health benefits. As a result, the consumer experiences reduced risk of Melanoma skin cancer, Cataract eye damage, Migraine headaches, and many other difficult health conditions

Increased Driving Comfort
The Sungate windshield is virtually clear, yet provides all the benefit of dark tinted films. The sun’s IR infrared heat energy is rejected keeping a vehicle cooler and more comfortable, while maintaining the drivers crystal clear view of the roadway at all times. – a serious advantage in warmer climates.

Enhanced Interior Protection
The same UV and IR rays that heat and damage our skin are also causes for the cracking, fading and other interior deterioration that occur as a vehicle ages. The Sungate windshield protects interior fabrics and other materials and helps maintain vehicle resale value.

My car has the Sungate Winshield, and if it gets damaged, I hope I can replace it with one. I like the idea of keeping the winsheild the same type it was built with.

There is one drawback: My GPS does not work in the front window. (Does not ever see the satellites)

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
From a site about the Sungate Winshield and it's benefits:

The Sungate windshield is a laminated, high-performance solar control product designed to reflect infrared rays while meeting all federal requirements for light transmittance.

ALL WINDSHIELDS ARE LAMINATED!

With the ability to reflect over 50 percent of the sun’s total energy, the Sungate windshield will never be mistaken for a conventional tinted windshield. In fact, it outperforms such products by 400 percent.

PROOF!

Heat Reduction Improves Fuel Efficiency
Because the Sungate windshield reduces infrared heat energy by 90 percent, it also cuts passenger time to comfort by up to 50 percent. While the air conditioning is operating, the Sungate windshield improves fuel efficiency by as much as 3 to 4 percent.

WITH ALL THE BENEFITS YOU WOULD THINK THE WINDSHIELD IS HEAVIER WOULDNT THAT MAKE THE CAR HEAVIER LOOSING MPG? AN I NEVER USE AIR CONDITIONER

Comfort and Protection by Design
The Sungate windshield incorporates a multi-layer transparent metal/metal oxide coating on the inboard surface of the outer glass. Silver coating layers reflect solar energy. Other layers control visible reflections and, at the same time, protect the silver layers from attack by chemicals or other environmental components.

MEH

Consumer Health Benefits
The windshield provides complete protection from extreme UV ultraviolet solar radiation, and therefore offers undisputed health benefits. As a result, the consumer experiences reduced risk of Melanoma skin cancer, Cataract eye damage, Migraine headaches, and many other difficult health conditions

WOW SO WITHOUT IT ILL GET MELONOMA?? HOW ON EARTH HAVE PEOPLE IN THE PAST LIVED WITHOUT A SUNGATE?? ID LIKE TO SEE A POSITIVE CORRELATION CHART WITH MELONOMA EYE DAMAGE AN "OTHER HEALTH CONDITIONS" FROM CARS WITHOUT SUNGATE AN WITH SUNGATE

Increased Driving Comfort
The Sungate windshield is virtually clear, yet provides all the benefit of dark tinted films. The sun’s IR infrared heat energy is rejected keeping a vehicle cooler and more comfortable, while maintaining the drivers crystal clear view of the roadway at all times. – a serious advantage in warmer climates.

PEOPLE GET TINT TO NET BE SEEN AND KEEP HEAT OUT

Enhanced Interior Protection
The same UV and IR rays that heat and damage our skin are also causes for the cracking, fading and other interior deterioration that occur as a vehicle ages. The Sungate windshield protects interior fabrics and other materials and helps maintain vehicle resale value.

SO DOES ARMOR ALL LOL

My car has the Sungate Winshield, and if it gets damaged, I hope I can replace it with one. I like the idea of keeping the winsheild the same type it was built with.

There is one drawback: My GPS does not work in the front window. (Does not ever see the satellites)

PAYING MORE FOR LESS FUNCTION....I GET IT NOW.

what i took from this is.... windshields are obviously better the more money you spend :). lol ill stick with my windshield i have now as long as it not cracked im good, i payed 170 for my last shield.... and i dont kno if it was sungate an dont care to find out. sorry if it seems like im bashing...hell i dont kno if the one im my car is now

·
Registered
897 Posts
Being someone who's eyes are very sensitive to bright light and sun burns EXTREMELY easy, I wish I could get a sungate in my 94', but no one will put it in unless your car came with it.

My face gets sunburned in the Winter within 5 minutes of driving towards the sun. If it's sunny out and Winter, as long as I park my car facing the sun, I don't need the heater when I get in.

Having been in cars with/out many times, the sungate is much easier on the eyes.

The sungate really does make a difference.

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
well if you were in charlotte id trade you cuz it makes no diff to me. i might break mine with the audio system anyways

1 - 8 of 8 Posts