Chevy Impala SS Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The last time I had a windshield replaced, I was left with some scratches/scrapes at the front edge of the dash top pad.
I need to have the windhshield done on my 96 RMW now, and it seems like the edge of the dash is even a little higher than on the 91-93 Caprices.
Will pointing out the potential problem to the glass guy be enough, or is it so difficult to avoid touching it with the saw/knife that
(considering that having it repaired afterwards is not practical on any level)
I should just assume the worst and remove the top pad?

Does removing the 94-96 RM top pad involve anything beyond pulling off the whole dash bezel, and then a few screws?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Scratches shouldnt be a problem if you have a competent glass installer. My guys have done a few SS's here and never had a problem.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I used to take all my projects to same pro glass shop. $25 cash and it was out (I installed them myself).
Well then came a day when same guys scratched VIN plate badly. In my opinion it is worth it to make the job as easy as possible for the guy and protect the VIN plate.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'm all for better safe than sorry, so I'd probably remove the dash pad in your case.

If the glass company was any good at there job this shouldn't be an issue. Since the trim around the wipers and up the A pillars are removed to change the glass and this leaves the edge of the glass fully exposed they cut the sealer from the outside and should not be sticking the knife as far in to scratch the glass. Across the top of the windshield the glass sits down flush with the roof and they have to cut from the inside.

The glass guys that I use, I've never seen them use a knife with a blade longer than the black ceramic paint around the edge of the glass.

Just be sure how ever they do it, they use the primer on the metal surface making sure to cover any place they scratched the paint so you don't have rust growing out from under the glass a couple of years later.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.