Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know this might seem like a simple question, but can someone give me some insight as to why all of a sudden my windshield washer is not working? When I push the lever, the wiper start as they should, but I hear no sound coming from the pumps. Reservoir is full, so that's not the problem. Both plugs are on the motors and snug. I haven't had the chance to test the connections with a voltmeter yet. I've checked the fuses inside and all seem to be fine. Is there a fuse under the hood that goes to the motors?

It's one of the small things you take for granted, until you have a dirty windshield at 7:00am driving into the sun.

·
Premium Member
15,727 Posts
It's worth checking your fuses but most likely the pump quit. It's a $15.00 or so part at Autozone.

·
Registered
5,708 Posts
I experienced the same problem yesterday on my 94. Pushed the lever, no juice. Wipers work. No pump noise. I will check to see if the motors can be swapped (but I seem to remember that they have different electrical connectors). I can also try another pump from my SS or my 92 to see if it works. I'll report back tonight...

·
Registered
2,759 Posts
When I push the lever, the wiper start as they should, but I hear no sound coming from the pumps. I haven't had the chance to test the connections with a voltmeter yet.
1st place to start, remove the electrical connector to the washer pump on the bottle, get a 12V Test light and follow the test procedure sequence below. basically, your looking for 12V at one of the terminals on the elec connector at the washer pump. If you have voltage, the pump's most likely dead. If you dont have 12V, time to start checking the fuse or back checking the wiring from the switch to the pump. Also, the process will be easier if you have a helper activate the washer handle switch while you check for voltage at the elec connector.

·
Registered
1,148 Posts
I experienced the same problem yesterday on my 94. Pushed the lever, no juice. Wipers work. No pump noise. I will check to see if the motors can be swapped (but I seem to remember that they have different electrical connectors). I can also try another pump from my SS or my 92 to see if it works. I'll report back tonight...
So, what was the problem three years ago? lol My best guess is that the pump was fine and just needed priming.

·
Registered
10,930 Posts
Front and rear pumps for wagons have different connectors. When they do not work, they are ususally dead. The connectors could be corroded, but usually are not, because they have moisture seals. Check for volltage at the connector, if yes, it is the pump.

·
Registered
145 Posts
I just experienced a similar issue. Removed the hose, blew through it and fluid came out the sprayers. Replaced the pump with a donor from the junkyard and it works like new.

·
Registered
526 Posts
This must be the year that all of them start going out. Mine started going out a couple days ago it would barely chooch washer fluid out. I thought it was because it was low so i filled it up. Then today after work I had some tree jizz on my windshield, turned the antler and i couldn't even hear the pump working... it just squirted a tiny bit then died.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts