Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone..new to the site. I just bought a 1995 Impala SS and am going to be driving her in the winter. Just wondering if a 215/60R/16 will fit. I have a line on a set and just wanted some feedback. They apparently are multi-fit and will fit any offset. Cheers.:cool:

·
Registered
581 Posts
What vehicle are those off of? I ask as there are relatively few 5x5 bolt pattern rims in 16". That almost sound like snow tires off of a 2000+ Impala which does use 16" rims but they will not fit our cars as the bolt pattern is incorrect at 5x115 bolt pattern. Also the 215/50R16 tire is about .8" too short which would throw the speedometer off by about 3.3%. A better size to go with would be 225/70R15 winter tires as it would only throw the speedometer off 1.3% and can fit onto commonly available 9C1 or other GM 15x7 steel truck rims from the 80's and 90's. - Peter

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply. They are Hancook winter tires with steel rims that came off of an 06 Subaru Outback. Apparently they are "multi-fit" rims. Wondered about the speedo change. More than 3% isn't recommended if I heard right?

·
Registered
581 Posts
Well 3.3% at 60MPH would read 62MPH so I guess it depends on what you are comfortable with. As for the multifitment rims, they may fit multiple sizes but probably only 2 different ones and 5x5 (5x127) was only used on GM trucks and B/D body vehicles so the rims would most likely not be drilled for that size. Plus the offset of the rims is all wrong because they are probably FWD rims.

My personal car was running 295/50R15's on 15x8 rims on it and those are quite a bit shorter than the stock 235/70R15's so the speedometer was a bit off but I knew about it and lived with it, however when I go to replace the tires next year I will be going with the 275/60R15 which is the same diameter of the stock tires. That difference was just about a 5% difference so it when it read 60MPH was actually going about 57MPH. See Miata Tire Calculator for a nice Java based tire size calculator. - Peter

·
Registered
2,006 Posts
Bigger issue with the Subaru rims would be the backspace (or offset, whichever term you are more familiar with). Even if the bolt pattern worked, I doubt the backspace would.

·
Registered
2,486 Posts
why do you think subaru rims will fit just because they're "multi-fit" whatever the f*** that is...

you can only fit one bolt pattern on our cars without adapters and that 5x5 or 5x127...that's it...subaru isnt gonna have the right bolt pattern...

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
why do you think subaru rims will fit just because they're "multi-fit" whatever the f*** that is...

you can only fit one bolt pattern on our cars without adapters and that 5x5 or 5x127...that's it...subaru isnt gonna have the right bolt pattern...

What is your problem? Don't quite understand why this makes you fly off the handle

·
Registered
3,096 Posts
What is your problem? Don't quite understand why this makes you fly off the handle
He doesn't have a problem.......but you will. Don't believe us, go ahead and buy them. You asked and we responded with good info. Backspace and bolt pattern ARE a BIG deal.

·
Registered
897 Posts
Where do you live? I have some old American Racing 15" ARE-797 rims with new (less than 5000 miles) Kumho 795 Touring All-Season tires (215/75-15). Awesome for Winter and rain weather.

Problem is I can no longer use them because I put my Stainless Steel Brakes dual-piston calipers on the front. So I need at least 16" rims. Means I'm looking at a whole new set of Winter shoes.

If you're in Ohio I'll sell them to you for $250.00. PM me if you (or anyone else) are interested.

·
Premium Member
10,064 Posts
You are demonstrating with your questions that you have a total lack of understanding about wheel bolt patterns, offsets, and tire sizes. Some people respond to this by totally flying off the handle. Others will respond with attempts to educate.
I will go somewhere in the middle.

Unless you wish to continue being ridiculed, it would be helpfull if you understood the basics of wheel fitment and tire sizing. tirerack.com has a HUGE wealth of information in tech articles on their website. Start there to educate yourself. After that, spend some time looking through the info in our master sticky. Then your questions will not earn a :rolleyes:

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
You are demonstrating with your questions that you have a total lack of understanding about wheel bolt patterns, offsets, and tire sizes. Some people respond to this by totally flying off the handle. Others will respond with attempts to educate.
I will go somewhere in the middle.

Unless you wish to continue being ridiculed, it would be helpfull if you understood the basics of wheel fitment and tire sizing. tirerack.com has a HUGE wealth of information in tech articles on their website. Start there to educate yourself. After that, spend some time looking through the info in our master sticky. Then your questions will not earn a :rolleyes:

I thought forums were meant to inform and assist. If I go to tire rack to educate myself, then why would I post on a forum? You are a moderator right? Apparently there is very little required to attain that position, based on your inconsiderate reply. Just because you know information about a wheel offset doesn't prove dominance over another person. I for one am not so ignorant to others who ask me health related questions because I spent 7 years in med school and residency and it happens to be both my area of expertise and my area of employment. I apologize for not having direct knowledge about this topic of conversation, but I am too busy performing surgeries on a week to week basis (a little more impportant too, I might add). Next time you need advice on the cell spread of lymphoma or have a concern about prostatis, I will simply tell you to go educate yourself somewhere else. It will be a little harder to find that information, especially at Tire Rack.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts