Chevy Impala SS Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, those of you that use your Impala SS for a daily driver and have to drive in the winter where you actually get snow and ice, what do you use for wheels/tires? I know a taller, skinnier tire is better for winter driving and wondering if I could get like a 9C1 wheel setup and put dedicated winter tires on there to run in the winter.

Or, since I am planning on getting a nice set of aftermarket wheels and tires for the nice weather, is there a good, dedicated winter tire in the stock size that will work on the stock wheels?

Any and all input welcomed. Could not find the answer I was looking for with the SEARCH function. Will the stock Caprice or 9C1 wheels fit on the Impala without a problem (since the Impala has the wider rear end)? Any other suggestions? Tire Rack does not offer a winter wheel/tire package, just tires.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Cheap (but decent looking) 15" steel, Pacer Redline wheels and Blizzacks. Two Winters and they have served VERY well so far.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
My car came with a set of these;

Eagle Alloys with 215/70-15 Blizzacs. The previous owner had them on steel 9C1 wheels before he had them mounted on the alloys, about a week before he sold the car to me... He said the Blizzacs were great in snow, but I did not need them for some reason. Sold them on ebay.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
So, is the 215/70-15 tire comparable to the stock 255/50-17 so there is no ill effects on the ABS? Any recommendations for offset for a 15" wheel? I assume then that the stock 9C1 size wheel will work, too?

Boilermaker,

Where did you get those Pacer Redline wheels?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Originally posted by Wayne Bengston:
....He said the Blizzacs were great in snow, but I did not need them for some reason.
You mean you had better options for all the snow you get up north.....in Houston? :eek: :eek: ......

KW

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Originally posted by KW Baraka:
You mean you had better options for all the snow you get up north.....in Houston? :eek: :eek: ......

KW
I find that the Kumho 712s work just fine in the snow we get here in Houston.

The 215/70-15 is 26.9" diameter vs 27" for the stock tires. Virtually identical. ABS only cares about mismatched tires anyway. As long as they are all the same diameter, it's as happy as a pig in ****.

5" seems to be the consensus on backspacing. Be aware that some 15" wheels don't clear the rear caliper. 9C1 wheels, of course, do.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yeah, pretty sure the 712's will not work with the snow and ice we get here in Central Iowa...

So, 15" with 5" backspacing. And I will be just fine if I can find some cheap take off 9C1 or similiar wheels and pick up the tires.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
342B Black Daytona Wheels. Picked them up at a local tire store for $60 each including mounting and balancing (were covered in dust hidden in the corner of the showroom).

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Originally posted by Boilermaker:
342B Black Daytona Wheels.
Also, American Racing Wheels 767 :D ! Got mine from Dicount Tires....about $60 each these days....

These are the black wheels with the red and blue strips on the lip.

KW

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Or you can go to the junk yard like myself and pick up some rims. I picked rims from an Astro Van, It has the same 5x5 pattern as the stock wheels. I cleaned em up and painted them. I put 255/60's on there which worked fine for the winter task. Only got stuck once o nIce and needed a nudge to get going again.

Pualy.....Moderator says, "read this" >>>> http://impalassforum.com/noncgi/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=22;t=003528

[ 05-15-2005, 11:04 AM: Message edited by: KW Baraka ]

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.