Chevy Impala SS Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
797 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Seems the last two winters when heavy ice/snow impedes my wiper arms, the driver side one will simply stop moving. I think i remember removing a little cap and tightening down the nut last year, but is simply replacing the wiper arm the answer for this? I'm guessing the spline teeth on the wiper arm are worn down? Or is it the drive spline on the wiper transmission?

thanks for any help-

·
Registered
499 Posts
Seems the last two winters when heavy ice/snow impedes my wiper arms, the driver side one will simply stop moving. I think i remember removing a little cap and tightening down the nut last year, but is simply replacing the wiper arm the answer for this? I'm guessing the spline teeth on the wiper arm are worn down? Or is it the drive spline on the wiper transmission?

thanks for any help-

I just did this yesterday. All I can say is remove the cap like you know and tighten that hex bolt and it shuld work, it worked for me and I do it once every year. I would use some thread lock on that nut. But not the very tight thread lock, the medium one they sell so you can take it off if you need

·
Registered
3,094 Posts
Yup - what he said. And when the (your) weather is better, do the Bill Harper wiper arm mod. Better tension on the glass is just one of several advantages.

·
Registered
797 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thank you both! that was all that it was, the nut had come way loose. tightened her up and it was just fine.

thanks!

·
Registered
833 Posts
The wiper arm stud is harder than the soft metal arm. If tightening the arm does not work look at the knurls on the shaft. They can fill up with filings from the arm. I cleaned mine out with a pick. and the wiper arm locked down and does not slip any longer.

·
Super Moderator
9,454 Posts
The wiper arm stud is harder than the soft metal arm. If tightening the arm does not work look at the knurls on the shaft. They can fill up with filings from the arm. I cleaned mine out with a pick. and the wiper arm locked down and does not slip any longer.
This is a great tip. Had the same problem on one of my cars, solved it this way too.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.