Chevy Impala SS Forum banner
101 - 120 of 135 Posts

· Registered
2,703 Posts
Can someone explain the steps needed to remove stock wiper blades in order to peform this mod ? I have a stock 1996 impala , and from what I can see there is a nut holding arm in place , after nut is removed the wiper arm seems stuck , very difficult to remove with my hand is there a special tool everyone is using ?
The special tool needed is a nail or small drill bit. You will notice there are holes in the arm near the pivot point. Insert nail or bit completely through arm holes after lifting slightly away from glass to release the tension on the arm spring. Then the arm can be removed from the shaft.

Amazing what can be learned from the FSM.

· Registered
1,845 Posts
No idea if they work--if they're same or similar to 2000+ Impala, they will not work.

The arms used for the mod were installed on the following vehicles:

Aurora 2001-2003 G

Bonneville 2000-2005 H

Lesabre 2000-2005 H - see item 3 (cap) and 5 (left & right arms)

Bill, are you saying that the wipers from these cars will work on my imp as well as the previously mentioned Lesabre wipers??

· Registered
1,845 Posts

· Registered
354 Posts
Just ordered the arms and caps.

I can use the impala hoses and squirters correct?

· Registered
1,845 Posts
The squirters will be on the arms with hoses, just attach to the two points where you remove the old hoses.

BTW, I have a set for sale if anyone is looking.
how much??

· Registered
354 Posts
Just did this. Took about ten minutes. Seems to wipe real nice. 22 on drivers, 20 on passenger. Will see when it rains.
Too bad i Cracked my sungate in the process. :(

· Registered
1,845 Posts

· Registered
258 Posts
OK. Help me out here. If I put a pair of wiper arms from a 2005 Pontiac Bonneville on my 1996 Impala SS or Caprice, the wipers will no longer chatter across the windshield? I thought that chatter was from old or dried out blades.

The interesting thing about this mod for me was reading that the Bonneville arms have 2 spray nozzles per arm. I better spray pattern would be helpful in cleaning our large windshields.

If the Bonneville arms have a different angle, I guess that it isn't possible to put a slight twist in the original arms?

· Registered
176 Posts
bosch does have the evolution blade that i have been using for two years on my 95 SS that does have the pin style on it and the are the beam blades. they are also cheaper than the icons
Rain-X Latitude also, probably other brands out there now too. Nice to be able to get rid of the chatter and have that sleeker modern look without having to replace the stock arms.

· Registered
258 Posts
Perhaps a truly stupid question:

Have you all been destroying the caps that hide the bolts on the stock wiper arms? I don't see a way to remove these 16 year old plastic caps that have been baked on without cracking them off. They seem like they have melted into the paint or something.

· Registered
258 Posts
Bonneville Arms and Bosch Blades Installed

I got all of the parts a while ago. I cleaned, prepped and painted the arms with a satin black chassis type paint. Hopefully it will hold up to chips since it's chassis paint.

It took some coaxing but I finally got both caps off of the OEM arms. After 16/17 years, those things were really stuck in place.

I went with the 22 inch for the driver's side and 21 inch for the passenger side as one of the early posts in this thread suggested. Whenever I have to replace these, I will go with 21 on the driver's side and 20 on the passenger side. The ends of the blades stick out over the edge of the windshield a little too much for my tastes when using 22 & 21 since these Bonneville arms are a different length than Impala SS/Caprice stock arms. At first, I thought that I had made a mistake installing the arms on the wrong sides of the car but I checked and I put LH on the driver's side and RH on the passenger side.

I have only used the washers a couple of times so far. I expected to be blown away by the extra nozzles but I wasn't. It wasn't two big wide spray patterns from each arm. Perhaps that means that my washer pump is getting weak after 17 years?

The wiper operation seems to be good. We'll see how well they work as Northeastern Winter approaches!

101 - 120 of 135 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.