Chevy Impala SS Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was driving to work today when my drivers side wiper started acting funny. I turn it on, and my wiper arms and blade on the drivers side go past my windshield when it swings up, and just stop and get stuck there,when I put it back on the windshield it does the same thing. Is it time to replace the wiper motor or is it something else. The passenger side was working fine until I put the drivers side blade and arm back on the windshield, now it doesnt work at all either. Any help will be appreciated thanks

·
Registered
7,991 Posts
wipers

Under the black plastic caps on each side is a 13mm or 15mm nut that hold the wiper arm to the shaft. It could be that these loosened and got the arms out of sync.

Disconnect them both and make sure your wiper transmission is at least working in the cycle like it should. You have to pull the vent cover to see this moving or just listen to it and if you pull the arms off you should see the posts moving back and forth.

If all looks good, turn the wipers off, and place the arms on the shafts with the wiper arms in the down position. Then tighten down the nut on the shaft. don't tighten them too much or I think this will bind up the arm.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Under the black plastic caps on each side is a 13mm or 15mm nut that hold the wiper arm to the shaft. It could be that these loosened and got the arms out of sync.

Disconnect them both and make sure your wiper transmission is at least working in the cycle like it should. You have to pull the vent cover to see this moving or just listen to it and if you pull the arms off you should see the posts moving back and forth.

If all looks good, turn the wipers off, and place the arms on the shafts with the wiper arms in the down position. Then tighten down the nut on the shaft. don't tighten them too much or I think this will bind up the arm.
Thank You very much, I did exactly what you said, and it worked. I took off the vent, and saw that the motor was indeed still working so I just tighted up the screw. The only thing that I had a problem was with the cap, I couldn't get it off with out breaking it. Not a big deal though. Thank You Very much again.

·
Registered
7,991 Posts
good deal

Glad that's all it was. Those plastic caps are a pain but are still available...for now at least. If you want to pick up a couple at the dealer the part # is 22094330 and they only cost a few bucks.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank You Very Much!!!

Glad that's all it was. Those plastic caps are a pain but are still available...for now at least. If you want to pick up a couple at the dealer the part # is 22094330 and they only cost a few bucks.
I really appreciate your help, I will be purchasing those caps this week. Thank you again, It is people like you who make this forum a good resource.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts